Typhoon differences between Weekender and Daysailer version

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

solosail

Typhoon differences between Weekender and Daysailer version

Post by solosail »

Hello there,
I have been thinking of buying a Typhoon for daysailing on the Long Island sound. What brought me to the Typhoon is the simplicity and ease of sailing single hand. I did have a chance to sail one last summer and enjoyed it. Now I am looking at the two versions and since I have no plans to sleep on board I was thinking of the daysailer vs weekender. Plus the larger cockpit is appreciable. I only sailed on the weekender and was wondering if there were some differences in sailing characteristics, fractional vs masthead rig? Also I would love to hear from people who sailed both versions and their preferences. Thank you.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Typhoon differences between Weekender and Daysailer vers

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

You’ll find a little info here: http://www.capedory.org/specs/typhoon.htm
Click on the links for the brochures at the bottom of that page.
Hopefully some owners will chime in.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Actually, a very similar question was asked only a few weeks ago. You might want to read this topic: http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38475

I have a Typhoon Weekender, and I also sailed the Daysailor version once. If you have any questions after reading the abovementioned topic, I'm happy to help.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Along the way, do not discount the self-bailing cockpit on the weekender, especially if you leave her on a mooring!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
solosail

Post by solosail »

wikakaru wrote:Actually, a very similar question was asked only a few weeks ago. You might want to read this topic: http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38475

I have a Typhoon Weekender, and I also sailed the Daysailor version once. If you have any questions after reading the abovementioned topic, I'm happy to help.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Thank you for providing this link. It answers most of my questions. I still would like to hear more about sailing characteristics between the two versions. Like the original poster of this topic, I have more interest in the daysailer version for additional space in the cockpit ( I am 6.1). However I understand the cons of not having a self bailing cockpit. How easy it is to install the cockpit cover after a sail? and how much does it protect the rain from entering after let's say a storm or heavy rain? I am planning to keep the boat at a mooring. If other daysailer owners could comment on this that would be great.
Someone also mentioned about the shortcoming of poor pointing ability which I think I'll have to adjust. I would imagine that tacking require a bit more time than a fin keel.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Cockpit covers can be a pain, especially if you sail often. My Weekender came with one, but since my cockpit is self-bailing, I didn't need it to protect my cockpit from water. It might have been nice to keep the varnish covered, but it was so big and ungainly that I never used it. I finally threw it out a few months ago. (It occurs to me now that I should have offered it for sale here on the board. Oh well.) But covers are a necessary compromise if you decide you want the Daysailor version. You will also want an automatic electric bilge pump for the water that inevitably makes its way around or through the cover.

As to pointing ability, both the Daysailor and Weekender have the same hull, so that's a non-issue. However, if you are comparing the pointing ability of a Typhoon (or any Cape Dory) with a fin keeled boat, that's apples and oranges. You buy a Typhoon because you want a sweet-sailing, beautiful boat. If you want maximum VMG upwind, look at a modern sportboat like a VX One or RS21. Or for something that actually looks decent, look at a Schock Harbor 20, or if you are made of money, a Chuck Paine-designed York 18. But you are going to pay 1 to 2 orders of magnitude more money for those compared to a Typhoon.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
solosail

Post by solosail »

Good to know regarding cockpit cover. I am hoping to sail at least once or twice a week. I have more concerns about the weather proof ability of this type of cover and how much they keep the rain out after a storm. I travel often so if I can't leave it on a mooring safely for a couple of weeks then the weekender might work better for me.
What type of automatic bilge pump are you suggesting since there is no battery on board? and obviously I would not want a battery. I'd like to keep things as simple as possible even no o/b.

I understand your "apples to oranges" point and though I've mostly sailed fin keel boats in the past, I am fine with trying something different. The short experience I had on the typhoon was great and that's why I have an interest in it for sweet sailing as you said.

So I guess not much differences between the masthead and fractional rig typhoon.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Since any Typhoon you buy will be used, it will be likely that the previous owner will have figured all of this out and pass on the cover and bilge pump arrangement to you.

Speaking theoretically (since I have the Weekender) I think how effective your cover is depends on how it's made. If you have a tight, waterproof cover connected all the way around the coaming with snaps or turn button fasteners it should keep pretty much all of the water out. If the boat doesn't come with a cover, a good canvas maker should be able to set you up with one that doesn't leak.

They do make solar powered bilge pumps (there's one called the Sea Joule) but it would be shaded by the cover. I think you would be better served to make your own system with a little 500 GPH pump, float switch, battery, and a small flexible 15 watt solar panel. You would either have to affix the solar panel to the cover or to some other spot that isn't shaded by the cover, and stow it while sailing.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

Just wanted to add to my comments on the other post regarding the Typhoon. I have sailed a fin keel C & C 34 for the past 30 years and really liked it pointing ability and had a respectable race record. Once I got my beat-up Typhoon and restored her I decided NO RACING ON THE TYPHOON and I enjoy not having to worry about extreme pointing ability. She does fine on a close reach however. I did notice that with the jib and main the boat does admirable well in pointing but with the Genoa it was difficult to do as well pointing due to the outboard tracking. I had the local sail maker work with me to design a better genoa that I could adjust better than the 150%. Victoria now points better, I can see under the sail even when heeled and I don't have to install a new set of outboard genoa tracks farther forward. Meanwhile the working jib hasn't been used for the past 8 years. I do enjoy challenging those Rhodes 19s and Catalina 22s to an informal race now and then and can hold my own or even come out ahead! OOPS, NO MORE RACING - JUST ENJOY THE SAIL! I sold the C & C! :D
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Just to be clear (at least, I hope I'm clarifying things) I think Jim was suggesting a bilge pump for the Daysailer, not the Weekender. The Weekender closes up tight enough that a bilge pump isn't necessary, at least in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sailing differences between the two rigs. If there is one, it's small enough not to matter. The Weekender cockpit is going to be plenty big for you. If you think you'll be going out regularly with more than one additional adult, then some more cockpit space might be nice.
solosail

Post by solosail »

Dick Villamil wrote:Just wanted to add to my comments on the other post regarding the Typhoon. I have sailed a fin keel C & C 34 for the past 30 years and really liked it pointing ability and had a respectable race record. Once I got my beat-up Typhoon and restored her I decided NO RACING ON THE TYPHOON and I enjoy not having to worry about extreme pointing ability. She does fine on a close reach however. I did notice that with the jib and main the boat does admirable well in pointing but with the Genoa it was difficult to do as well pointing due to the outboard tracking. I had the local sail maker work with me to design a better genoa that I could adjust better than the 150%. Victoria now points better, I can see under the sail even when heeled and I don't have to install a new set of outboard genoa tracks farther forward. Meanwhile the working jib hasn't been used for the past 8 years. I do enjoy challenging those Rhodes 19s and Catalina 22s to an informal race now and then and can hold my own or even come out ahead! OOPS, NO MORE RACING - JUST ENJOY THE SAIL! I sold the C & C! :D
Thank you for sharing. this will be very helpful. May I ask why did you decide to buy a typhoon and how was the transition from your 34?
solosail

Post by solosail »

Ben Miller wrote:Just to be clear (at least, I hope I'm clarifying things) I think Jim was suggesting a bilge pump for the Daysailer, not the Weekender. The Weekender closes up tight enough that a bilge pump isn't necessary, at least in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sailing differences between the two rigs. If there is one, it's small enough not to matter. The Weekender cockpit is going to be plenty big for you. If you think you'll be going out regularly with more than one additional adult, then some more cockpit space might be nice.

The short experience I had on a weekender was great except for the space under the boom in the cockpit. I do plan to sail sometime with a crew of 2 or 3, I would say 4 max on board. I think the daysailer will be much more comfortable in that configuration for daysailing. Non self bailing is a compromise for more space.
solosail

Post by solosail »

What is the waterproof life expectancy of a cockpit cover?
kmulligan

Post by kmulligan »

I've had a 1980 Daysailer at my dock with a sunbrella cockpit cover for the past six years. We're subject to heavy downpours quite frequently in central Fl. and the cover only keeps out about 50% of the rainwater. I sail at least once a week and the bilge almost always needs bailing. If the water is above the floor grating I use a portable bilge pump powered by a lawnmower battery. A better waterproof cover would result in less rainwater but would be difficult to assemble on a mooring, not to mention storing it while underway. Mine has three battens and eight snaps.
I love my Typhoon but if I was on a mooring I would opt for the self bailing weekender.
solosail

Post by solosail »

kmulligan wrote:I've had a 1980 Daysailer at my dock with a sunbrella cockpit cover for the past six years. We're subject to heavy downpours quite frequently in central Fl. and the cover only keeps out about 50% of the rainwater. I sail at least once a week and the bilge almost always needs bailing. If the water is above the floor grating I use a portable bilge pump powered by a lawnmower battery. A better waterproof cover would result in less rainwater but would be difficult to assemble on a mooring, not to mention storing it while underway. Mine has three battens and eight snaps.
I love my Typhoon but if I was on a mooring I would opt for the self bailing weekender.
Thank you for your input. Great info. 50% is not much. Does it cover the whole cockpit? Is it a standard mooring cover? I am surprise it 's not more efficient.
How difficult is it to assemble if you are at a mooring?