Coaming boards - thickness and material

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

csoule13

Coaming boards - thickness and material

Post by csoule13 »

The local lumber yard just got a pile of 4/4 quarter sawn sapele, and the coaming boards on myCD27 have seen better days. Is there a general rule of thumb for coaming board thickness? I figure 4/4 will end up closer to 3/4 by time of install, and not sure if that's going to do the trick.

Chris
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Coaming boards - thickness and material

Post by tjr818 »

I think that if you can keep it a 3/4" or more you will be okay, Sapele is plenty strong enough. Many of the coming boards on today's Cape Dorys have been sanded so much that they are less than 3/4" of an inch in thickness
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Christine C's are 3/4. CD30
Jeff
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

If I were in your shoes I’d be happy to start with the 4/4 and once run through a planer, or sanded smooth, the final result would be perfect. This would be the perfect opportunity to cap the coamings with strips of raw teak, or something else of your choice, if you plan to varnish the coamings, as done by John Stone on Far Reach. Another method to save wear and tear on the varnish is to add a strip of quarter round brass as Steve Laume has done on Raven….looks great.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Thanks everyone, looks like if it ever stops raining here it's time to get to measuring.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

You don't want quarter sawn for this application. It will resist bending that is necessary to be bolted flush to the vertical sides of the molded cockpit.

Sapele is good wood. I used African mahogany as its lighter and works easily. Both mahogany and sapele will need to be painted varnished or need some other protective coating applied. Burmese teak, iroko, ipe and a few other wood can be left bare.

Picture below of bare teak cap we used on top edge of our coaming. I repurposed the original teak coaming for the cap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Much appreciated John. And always nice to get photos of the FR, that teak cap is a nice touch.