Where Is The Far Reach--Part III

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Where Is The Far Reach--Part III

Post by John Stone »

The sun sets serenely on the western horizon. The Far Reach is happily at rest, her wings folded, with her constant companion Sweet Pea trailing close behind. It's times like this when you can feel the day slowly exhale as the shadows creep down the mountains.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Nice photos, John! Please keep them coming!

--Jim
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Interesting group of boats. Looks like a trawler, a big cat, and a classic work of art.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Thanks for the nice comments.

We decided we needed some ice and a few provisions so we slipped the mooring at Francis Bay towing Sweet Pea and motored, by gosh, the four miles down to Cruz Bay and picked up the last morning in the line closest to the harbor. We took the Sweet Pea into the fuel dock and purchased water and ice and returned to the FR loading up the ice box. Then we returned to the dinghy dock and hoofed it to North Shore Deli for a sandwich and a Jumble desert. We grabbed a few groceries and returned to the FR. We motored back up through the Caneel Bay mooring field looking at the boats and through the Durloe Channel. I have never motored this area. Always sailed it. We were curious how the engine and folding prop would do against the 15-18 kts breeze and building 3-4' swell. She did fine. It was weird motoring instead of sailing. I had pulled the sail cover off and rigged the boat for sailing...just in case there was trouble with the engine, but it ran like a sewing machine. We left the sun awning up and lounged in the shaded cockpit as we motored along the coast. Gayle had an arched eyebrow every time she looked at me. At one point she said, "Do I know you?" It was pretty easy. Downright decadent. I felt like I fell down a well of laziness. Is this what happens when you have an engine? We were back on the mooring by noon.

There was a three panel photo on a wall in a store and I took a quick panoramic photo between people on the stairs. You're looking east across the north side of St John. Caneel Bay side in the foreground. Cruz Bay to the far right out of view. Trunk Bay across the narrow isthmus. Francis Bay in the background where we are on a mooring. All the coast here is part of the US National Park. It is gorgeous.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:We motored back up through the Caneel Bay mooring field looking at the boats and through the Durloe Channel. I have never motored this area. Always sailed it. We were curious how the engine and folding prop would do against the 15-18 kts breeze and building 3-4' swell. She did fine. It was weird motoring instead of sailing. I had pulled the sail cover off and rigged the boat for sailing...just in case there was trouble with the engine, but it ran like a sewing machine. We left the sun awning up and lounged in the shaded cockpit as we motored along the coast. Gayle had an arched eyebrow every time she looked at me. At one point she said, "Do I know you?" It was pretty easy. Downright decadent. I felt like I fell down a well of laziness. Is this what happens when you have an engine?
Hey John,

Much as I'd like to decry the apparent slide towards the Dark Side, I also have to admit that I'm a firm believer in the adage, "the right tool for the job". Your new engine is another tool in your toolbox; just as you have learned how and when to use a chisel or plane instead of a table saw or belt sander, now you are learning the utility of engine versus sail. As long as your use of the engine adds to rather than detracts from your enjoyment of Far Reach, I would say you are doing it right.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Hey John,

Don't sweat the motor use. (Full disclosure, I am wearing a Kubota t shirt right this minute.)

You might not have made it back by noon if you had the Bushwhacker at the North Shore Deli! What a great spot. Continue looking after the bays of St. John for us.
Paul
CDSOA Member
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Thanks Jim and Paul.

We stripped the sail covers and canvas sun awnings tonight. Attached the windvane servo blade. Ready for action tomorrow. Will beat east up the Narrows, across the Drake Channel, and around the east end of St John to Round Bay. You know, where the voice of Zeus resides.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:We stripped the sail covers and canvas sun awnings tonight. Attached the windvane servo blade. Ready for action tomorrow. Will beat east up the Narrows, across the Drake Channel, and around the east end of St John to Round Bay. You know, where the voice of Zeus resides.
Here's hoping the partying bareboat charter cat doesn't return and make another manifestation of Zeus necessary.

I was always partial to Water Creek off Hurricane Hole. No snorkeling, but it was always flat calm and quiet.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Brisk sail up the Drake Channel, 18 g 25 kts. Maybe a dozen tacks. Had to tuck a second reef in main. Then around the east end of St John.

Back in Round Bay. Same spot. Gorgeous. Perfect weather. Going snorkeling.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Had to add another picture. The cockpit awning is working great so far. Easy to put up. Seems pretty secure. Excellent shade. Probably add zip off side curtain when we get home. Have not caught rain with it yet. I practiced though and the plan is to just drop the ridge line off the backstay and let it run into a big Tub-Trug bucket we carry aboard. From there pour directly into our Baja filter or into the five gallon collapsible jugs.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Hanging out on the hook. What a gorgeous day. I cooked bread this morning. Used a biga I made last night as a starter. I think I have settled on the current format for the foreseeable future. Simple to make. Outstanding flavor and texture. Getting more air holes each time. Bottom and sides are crispy. Though the process takes about 3hrs 45 min start to finish I'm only handling the bread for maybe 20 min. The rest of the time it's rising (3 x at 45 min each) and cooking for 50 min. Nothing smells like baking bread to fill the boat with aroma. Plus, we scarf down a bunch while it's still warm.

Went for a a long row with Gayle. We swam this afternoon and saw two sera turtles. Life is good. Live it and enjoy it while you can.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

We weighed anchor mid morning and motored up into Hurricane Hole checking out all the little deep water coves. Then we pushed on another 1/2 mile into Coral Harbor. We are anchored in 20' of water next to a semi-wrecked steel Zulu schooner. Just a day stop I think as we prep for sailing around the south side of St John tomorrow.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

We had a great night in Hanson Bay. The stars were fantastic. We shared the anchorage with three monohulls and a handsome 60' sleek low slung cat.

This morning all the boat departed. For now we have the anchorage to ourselves. A good time for a few pictures. Subtle changes in picture angles have a big effect.

What photo perspectives do sailors like most? Stern, quarter, profile, or bow shots.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Darn, this is the quartering shot I meant to post.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I prefer a profile when at anchor, then I can scrutinize the rig. I find the quartering shots dramatic but they reveal little of the boat overall.
Glad to see you have plenty of sunshine. I just used the snowblower and hand shovels to remove four+ inches of sunshine off my driveway……not complaining, just adding perspective…..enjoy your surroundings to the fullest.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time