Where Is The Far Reach--Part III

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Where Is The Far Reach--Part III

Post by John Stone »

Gayle is settling in. We had three days straight of rain and wind. We were confined to the boat. It's times like these I am really grateful for the Far Reach being so comfortable. We were dry with great ventilation and plenty of room for lounging, reading, eating, talking. We explored a little yesterday. Today we made bread and tonight is "pizza" night in our part of the anchorage with a few other sailing couples.

I need to recharge one of the propane cylinders tomorrow and we will add some provisions, ice, water and head off probably back over to St John. We need a quiet place to swim and lay about and enjoy the tropical warmth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I am going crazy.

We are waiting for a local seamstress to sew together two sunbrella panels and make a two inch wide hem all around for our larger cockpit awning. A simple design. Gayle was going to sew it at home but she ran out of time. In the meantime we are waiting. Tick...tock...tick...tock... I want to go sailing and get out of this port.

On the good side: After three days of rain (and many of our neighbors complaining of leaks) we had no leaks. Zero. Every boat should be absolutely leak proof and dry but almost none are. No leaks comes from eliminating all unnecessary holes. Glassing over the hull deck joint. Eliminating the toe rail. properly bedding the portlights with butyl and 3M 4000. Properly bedding all deck hardware. Having good gaskets on port holes. This is the only totally dry boat I have ever had. And what a pleasure it is.

Took the dinghy to get one of the propane tanks filled this morning. Yesterday, I solved a plumbing problem that has vexed me for awhile. Our Fyn-Spray galley pump (WS 62) and the one in the head (WS 60) were losing their prime. It was annoying. After much detective work I determined I had too long of a hose run between the two pumps--too much air. The head pump has a week cup and was letting small amounts of air into what should be a closed system. But, there are no replacement parts available for the head pump (WS 60) and the manufacturer has decided not to answer my emails.

I cut the hose to separate the pumps into two systems. Sink pump has access to all three tanks, just as before. Head sink pump has access to a dedicated small day tank...which in reality will last weeks since we only use that pump for washing hands/teeth. But, it occurs to me I could tie the head sink into the dedicated shower tank which is gravity fed. Hmmm. Interesting idea. I'll muse on that for a while.

Simple system allows simple repairs. Sailboats are expensive but even more so when complex equipment fails and simple repairs are not possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:We are waiting for a local seamstress to sew together two sunbrella panels and make a two inch wide hem all around for our larger cockpit awning. A simple design. Gayle was going to sew it at home but she ran out of time. In the meantime we are waiting. Tick...tock...tick...tock... I want to go sailing and get out of this port.
Island time... I know how frustrating it is when you want to do something and nothing will happen until mañana. At least it isn't something critical that you can't live without.
John Stone wrote:On the good side: After three days of rain (and many of our neighbors complaining of leaks) we had no leaks. Zero. Every boat should be absolutely leak proof and dry but almost none are. No leaks comes from eliminating all unnecessary holes. Glassing over the hull deck joint. Eliminating the toe rail. properly bedding the portlights with butyl and 3M 4000. Properly bedding all deck hardware. Having good gaskets on port holes. This is the only totally dry boat I have ever had. And what a pleasure it is.
One of the reasons I especially liked our steel boat. Almost everything was welded to the hull--deck cleats, stanchions, toe rail attachment tabs, dorade boxes, you name it. No holes, no leaks. The part I didn't like, though, was rust. Rust never sleeps. Choose your poison...
John Stone wrote:But, it occurs to me I could tie the head sink into the dedicated shower tank which is gravity fed. Hmmm. Interesting idea. I'll muse on that for a while.
A pressure water system without the pressure water pump. I like it.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Sounds like the cruising life. Fixing essential stuff and reveling in it being not so essential.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

A rainy squally day. Topped off water yesterday. Hauled 33 lbs of ice today between squalls. G and and I joining some friends tomorrow aboard their boat to watch the Super Bowl. Hoping to head off in a couple days.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Is the weak “cup” for your hand pump one of those leather cupped washers? All the Brit pumps used to use leather washers. They are still readily available because they are still extensively used for bicycle pumps. Many are still made in Britain and in Europe. Same washers, just used by a different industry.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Dmitche4

Post by Dmitche4 »

I enjoy reading your posts, especially since I shoveled at least 30 pounds of ice yesterday.

David
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Jim Walsh wrote:Is the weak “cup” for your hand pump one of those leather cupped washers? All the Brit pumps used to use leather washers. They are still readily available because they are still extensively used for bicycle pumps. Many are still made in Britain and in Europe. Same washers, just used by a different industry.

It's a rubber cup. They used to be leather. My MSR backpacking stoves still have leather cups in the pumps. They come with a tube of oil for keeping them lubricated. I have been thinking I could make a leather cup. Can't be that hard.

I bought a PVC 1/2" ball valve today to tie the head sink pump into the gravity feed shower tank. But I am going to hold off a bit to make sure I want to do that. In the meantime I have the sink pump hose run into a one gallon jug of water under the sink itself. It's pumping fine even with cracks in the cup.
Last edited by John Stone on Feb 12th, '22, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Dmitche4 wrote:I enjoy reading your posts, especially since I shoveled at least 30 pounds of ice yesterday.

David

Glad you enjoy. Spring should not be too far off. Maybe six weeks? Hang in there. In the mean time I'll tough it out here. Someone has to do it. Might as well be me.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Enjoying the posts John .... thanks so much

Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

We picked up our sunbrella awning from the canvas seamstress. She did a pretty nice job. I punched and installed 10 3/8" brass grommets yesterday. I installed some temporary lines and secured it in place with rolling hitches. I like it. Probably could of been six inches wider on the front end but all in all pretty good. A big improvement over using the sailing awning as an awning when anchored. The awning I rig when sailing is small by design. I ordered some black plastic snap hooks from McMaster Carr. I want this to be something we can rig up or down very quickly.

We reprovisioned yesterday and today and plan to slip the mooring tomorrow morning and beat east up the south coast of St Thomas headed for either Christmas Cove or Francis Bay, St John. I am so happy to be getting underway.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Far Reach is looking pretty as ever, John. It must be nice to have that boom gallows to get a taut ridge on the awning.

It's nice to see you will be moving again soon. Enjoy!

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

We slipped the mooring at 0800 and motored up to Long Bay (Charlotte Amalie waterfront) through Government Cut. We steered through the mooring field to have a look at the boats there. Then we headed out the main ship channel into the Caribbean Sea hoisting a single reefed main and working jib. The wind was about 12 kts and we were close hauled sailing about 125° mag. As we approached Buck Island the wind increased as did the swell due to sailing out beyond the protection of the islands to the east. We were only making about 4-5 kts. I didn't want to shake the reef out as I knew the wind would increase shortly and I was not disappointed. We sailed out towards Frenchman's Cap then tacked NE. The wind was now about 18 g 20. We beat past Christmas Cove and dropped the jib and motor sailed through Current Cut. Turns out we could have kept the jib up.

We started the long beat across Pillsbury Sound. There was a big swell coming into the sound as we sailed out behind the protection of James Island. I hauled the jib up and shut the engine off off and we began a great upwind beat. A gorgeous dark blue Hinckley B40 yawl made a run at us with all plain sail. She followed our wake matching our tacks but had no chance slowly falling behind.

We closed on Caneel Bay right to the mooring field then tacked and beat up through the Durloe Channel. Then we tacked back to the SE and beat up along the NW shoreline of St John keeping Johnson Reef to port. We ran down a big 60' luxury cat motoring along and towing a CC skiff. We were over taking him and I was not about to short tack back towards the reef in wind that was now gusting to about 25 kts. He backed off the throttles and we passed ahead. He changed direction behind us and went north skirting the reef and we were compelled to also tack north as we approached the shoreline of St John. Two more tacks and we dropped sails and started the Beta 25 and motored 100 yards towards the moorings in Francis Bay. Gayle picked up the mooring on the first try. Maho Bay is to the south about 150 yards. It is always so peaceful here. Total trip time was about 4 hrs and 10 min with a distance of about 22 nm sailed.

Later, as I was stowing the jib in the go-bag, I looked up and our neighbor's RHIB went floating past. I dove in and swam it down. I had no trouble starting the outboard and enjoyed the fast ride back to his 50' Beneteau. This was the same guy who had invited me over to join him and his friends for sundowners in Francis Bay a few weeks ago. We chatted for a few minutes catching up.

Later in the afternoon we launched Sweet Pea and Gayle and I had a great sunset row through the bay. The full moon was rising, the breeze was cool. It was a great way to end a fine sailing day.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

It looks like it was a nice sail, John! I love tacking through island passages, like you did between Hawksnest Point and Henley and Ramgoat Cays. Enjoy!

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

wikakaru wrote:It looks like it was a nice sail, John! I love tacking through island passages, like you did between Hawksnest Point and Henley and Ramgoat Cays. Enjoy!

Smooth sailing,

Jim
I agree Jim. I enjoy sailing through the tight passages. It gives you a real sense of movement. You have to be thinking ahead and you can't have your head in the cockpit. You have to be brain engaged actively sailing your boat assessing wind, water, depth, helm balance, sail trim, and the actions of other boats. It is challenging. There is some risk but I need risk in my life to make it interesting. There are a lot of people here on sailboats that don't do much sailing. I see a lot of motoring especially upwind. My observation is a lot of people love living on their sailboat but don't love to sail their boat.

We rowed the Sweet Pea several times today. It is amazing to me how many people comment on her. We are of course the only hard rowing dinghy in the anchorage. My how times have changed.

We hiked a bit today and enjoyed walking this afternoon through the ruins of the old Annaberg Sugar Cane Plantation on St John. The stone work is impressive. It has an incredible view out across the Narrows.

Tomorrow we make bread and do some snorkeling. Tonight we had another beautiful moonrise.