Adding a pilot berth to a 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

TheLastPirate

Adding a pilot berth to a 28

Post by TheLastPirate »

I have a 28. I am thinking of ideas to change the layout to better suit me. I was wondering if anyone has added a pilot berth to a 28. I was thinking about putting the galley all on one side and using the port side as a pilot berth with a chart table. I know I'd have to strengthen the bulkhead that I'd cut thru. Has anyone done this or know why it shouldn't be done? The chart table may hinge up or something to get out of the way for sleeping.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Adding a pilot berth to a 28

Post by jbenagh »

I think you'd be hard pressed to fit a good place to do this. When we do passages on CC we simply sleep in salon bunks. Offshore, I'd think differently. But, we do have lee cloths which work well.
I recently sailed off shore on a 34ft that did have a pilot berth. It was really hot and the least desirable berth.
Jeff
Last edited by jbenagh on Jan 30th, '22, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I'd recommend a brief offshore passage to determine if this is something you really want
Jeff
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

On our 33 I sewed up a lee cloth for the starboard settee berth from some army surplus shop netting. It is the preferred berth while on passages for us even over the rather comfortable and snug quarter berth.

Years ago, on a passage from New Zealand to Australia, I sept in the saloon pilot berth which was above the starboard settee berth. While it was a fairly comfortable berth for me and out of the way, it was 38' Atkins Ingrid which had plenty of space for it. But like it's generally considered not the best use of space to have two heads in a boat under 40' I don't think the saloon of a 28' CD would be able to house a proper pilot berth that's at least 76″ in length, 22″ to 28″ wide along its entire length, and a minimum of 24″ from the top of the bunk cushion to the overhead and still have a comfortable saloon settee set up and space for use at anchor. But I may be wrong; 28's do have a straightforward interior layout. IMHO I would just set up good lee cloth systems for the port and starboard settee berths.

Good luck!
Paul
CDSOA Member
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I installed two pilot berths on our CD 36 Far Reach. I love em. But, we built our entire interior to support the pilot berths. I think they are great. They are comfortable, secure, and they are out of the way. When you are sleeping on the high side though you are way up there above the center of gravity and it feels a lot different than when you are sleeping on the low side pilot berth.

But, on a smaller boat I'd be inclined to go with comfortable settee bunks--76" long just as Paul stated. I'd rig them with lee cloths. They are lower down and easier to get into and out of. Settee are also great for lounging on when you just need a short nap and not a full REM sleep cycle.

If you decide to keep the settees I'd invest in planning and modifying them to be more favorable for storage--maximum storage and especially ease of access.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Have you tried the floor?

Post by sgbernd »

Depending on how numerous your crew is, you might be better on the floor which is what I use on my CD28 for night. The cushion from the starboard settee fits nearly perfectly on the floor between the settees. I put a towel beneath the cushion to keep the zipper from digging into the varnish. A bed sheet, pillow, and couple of blankets completes the berth. Sleep with your feet towards the stern and head towards the bow.

I prefer the floor because;
1) it is along the center line reducing motion from all directions
2) about as low as you can get reducing the motion
3) You can't really fall out of it, short of a capsize
4) you are able to easily and rapidly get out if called to the deck
5) It works securely on either tack
6) plenty of ventilation due to the open companionway

The disadvantages are noted as follows;
1) anybody moving fore/aft, (to the head), has to step over you (or may fall on you)
2) It is a noisy when the engine is running (ear plugs help), but the settee berth is just as bad
3) in rough conditions, items left around the cabin can fall on top of you. (best to secure them before turning in)
4) a crewman making coffee, looking at charts, searching for a snack, etc., will wake you with the light and noise

As I sail with males, the outdoor head is used which limits the traffic to the indoor head. Also, we hot-bunk, so the off-watch crew uses the same berth. This works well if your crew is only 1 or at most 2. If you have more crewmen, or different circumstances, it may not work for you. But it might be an option, and costs nothing to try.

Steve
TheLastPirate

Post by TheLastPirate »

To he honest the pilot berth was a afterthought. I was thinking about removing the galley on that side and putting a chart table there. Mostly because I like chart tables. I figured the pilot berth would make sense, it would probably be used more for storage for guitars to he honest. I guess if I just added a glassed in framework around the opening I cut I could make that bulkhead structural.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

TheLastPirate wrote: it would probably be used more for storage for guitars to he honest.

Every guitar player needs a secure accessible place to store his or her guitar on the boat. I have kept mine stored under the side deck in the forward cabin for years. Made tough upwind thousand mile passages with it there without the slightest adverse affect. The forward and aft brackets are leathered. No wear or abrasion. Just an idea for you to consider if it fits on your boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith

Post by Keith »

If you are looking to have a chart table you could consider converting one of the settees to a dinette. On my CD30 I converted the starboard settee. It also drops down to make a berth. You loose one 25 gal water tank but gain storage.
CF328657-2F4F-47AB-9DF3-2B6928D36974.jpeg
55D5EF53-687A-46F2-AA9D-532C4D0835E3.jpeg
243E6668-F7A1-4C12-9BE9-33F0C35D0AF9.jpeg
I’ll send more pics with the table top in the down position.
Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Here’s the cushions on one side with the table up and with the table down. The two cushions from the other side of the dinette fill out the berth.
EFA1C18B-0F6E-42AD-A786-DF14CDB35693.jpeg
CFCFF957-3486-485B-9F61-F6AEB2E99ED5.jpeg
Keith

Note the sawdust on the cushions and sole.
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Keith wrote:Here’s the cushions on one side with the table up and with the table down. The two cushions from the other side of the dinette fill out the berth.

Keith

Note the sawdust on the cushions and sole.
I like what you did there, Keith. I was looking at removing that water tank and making a storage place for tools and such. The thought of making it a dinette with a work area is really good. As it is now, having to drop the table to have a work station, isn't the best.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947