Installing roller fuller on CD30C stay sail keeping the club

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bfb

Installing roller fuller on CD30C stay sail keeping the club

Post by bfb »

Thinking of doing that what are some thoughts
Thanks in advance
Billy
Jim Walsh

Re: Installing roller fuller on CD30C stay sail keeping the

Post by Jim Walsh »

When I bought Orion in 2006 she had a furling yankee and a hanked staysail. I sailed her that way till 2016 when I added a Harken roller reefing furler to the staysail. I like it….a lot. Very robust and it keeps me off the foredeck when I don’t really want to be there.
My preference has been to keep the club. Everyone has their own thoughts on this, some positive and some negative. I like the fact that I can furl my yankee and the rig is self tacking, allowing me to wander around easily looking for the best spot to drop the hook or to grab a mooring. Just turn the wheel, no need to tend sheets.
It’s also nice in the spring and fall when we have blustery weather. I just put a reef in the main and sail with the staysail and main only. Lazy mans daysailing suits me fine….at times.

Orion is a CD31 not a CD30 but the difference in rig is negligible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

I tried to get rid of the club, I can't get the sail shape I want. Experimented with sheets in different places to get good sail shape without the club. The sheets worked best on the cabin top. I was not willing to drill that many holes in the cabin top for the track. So I kept the club. If you work something out please post.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

On Mahalo CD36 we have roller furling on the staysail and we kept the club. We do have an outhaul that runs back to to the cockpit. Love it.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Keith

Post by Keith »

I added a furler to my stays'l as well and kept the boom. Outhaul comes back to the cockpit. My only comment is why didn't I do it sooner. You won't regret it!

Keith
Keith

Post by Keith »

Here’s a pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.