Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

keneasley

Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier

Post by keneasley »

Last Spring I thoroughly cleaned and lightly sanded the bronze prop and stainless steel shaft to bare metal. Then wiped down with alcohol and two coats of Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier. After six months in salt water - the picture shows the results. I didn't notice much impact while motoring but there certainly were some barnacles. The boat was used pretty often- usually three days each week.
Curious what others use and their results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
S/V Ethan Grey

Re: Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

I'm trying Propspeed for the first time this season. I can tell you that in the first 2 summer months in Florida that I had it on, there was no growth. I'll know better after next season, but i have read good things about it.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

S/V Ethan Grey wrote:I'm trying Propspeed for the first time this season. I can tell you that in the first 2 summer months in Florida that I had it on, there was no growth. I'll know better after next season, but i have read good things about it.

Everything I have read about prop speed has been very good. All the high end boats here use it.

I went with Petit barnacle buster as well. It has received mixed reports. It was $30 a can vs about $300 for prop speed. I figure in the Caribbean I can clean it by hand. I would go with Prop Speed if I could split the purchase with another sailor in the boatyard. There is more than I need in the smallest size but supposedly you can't save the left over and use it later.

A friend with a PS 34 claims he uses Black Magic Marker and his prop stays absolutely clear of barnacles.
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

John, I agree that there is more than enough in the small package to do two propellers. I just did a 3-blade 13" Campbell Sailer. I separated the two part mixture, by volume, prior to mixing with the hope of being able to save 1/2 of it for my next haul out. Using only 1/2 of the mixture, I easily had enough for the one propeller. There is a shelf-life stated on the package (I think it's a year, maybe 18 months) I don't know how true that is, but ideally finding two people to split the cost is the way to go.
-david
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound comes in a 16 oz. spray can and contains 93% zinc. It costs less than 10 bucks and you can find it in any hardware store or home center. Or you can buy the Pettit product for triple the cost…..your choice.
I’ve been using Velox Plus for a few years. Works well, not perfect, but I never have barnacles or much else during the season. It tends to flake off but I’m not prepping the surface as aggressively as they recommend. I have a seven month season and each harbor has their mix of aggressive creatures trying to slow us down so what works well in one place might be a total failure 50 miles away.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Jim Walsh wrote:Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound comes in a 16 oz. spray can and contains 93% zinc. It costs less than 10 bucks and you can find it in any hardware store or home center. Or you can buy the Pettit product for triple the cost…..your choice.
I’ve been using Velox Plus for a few years. Works well, not perfect, but I never have barnacles or much else during the season. It tends to flake off but I’m not prepping the surface as aggressively as they recommend. I have a seven month season and each harbor has their mix of aggressive creatures trying to slow us down so what works well in one place might be a total failure 50 miles away.

I would have used the Rustoleum but it was too late, I had already purchased the Petit. Maybe next time...unless I find a someone to split the cost of the speed prop coating with me. Or I might try the Velox as it looks like a pretty good system fir a reasonable price.
Sleepwalker

Post by Sleepwalker »

What anti-fouling properties does the Cold Galv have over the Petit Prop coat?
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Sleepwalker wrote:What anti-fouling properties does the Cold Galv have over the Petit Prop coat?
Petit owns Rustoleum. The beliefs seems to be the two products are the same with a different label. Rustoleum costs $10 and $30 for the Rustoleum.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sleepwalker wrote:What anti-fouling properties does the Cold Galv have over the Petit Prop coat?
They both contain 93% zinc. In essence it has no properties OVER Prop Coat, it has the same properties as Prop Coat.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Good to hear what others are using. This was my second year with the same rattle-can of Barnacle Buster.
The first year I had fewer barnacles on the prop and almost none on the driveshaft.
Maybe a new can works better. In any event I'll try to Cold Galvanizing paint next time or the Velox.

Any info on where to buy the Velox?
I searched manufacturer's web site and the links showed that Defender carried it but the Defender site doesn't
have it.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I'm also a big fan of Rustoleum cold galvanizing. I've used it for about 10 years in Salem Sound (MA) and have nearly no fouling. It's best in years we sail 2-3 times a week May to Oct but works OK even in the years when we get in only one sail a week. Worst case is 3-8 barnacles that come off with EZ On in the spring.
Jeff
Kailua Kid

Post by Kailua Kid »

I second the use of Velox. Pricey but effective, especially if the surface prep is exactly as recommended in the package. I also second trying to split the cost with someone else about to haul out, since the shelf life of the product once opened is not certain. In our harbor there is lots of growth, but with the prop and shaft treated with Velox, there is no growth after two years. Very effective stuff.