CD 25 Shaft Length

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

casampson

CD 25 Shaft Length

Post by casampson »

Anyone out there have an opinion on shaft length for a Cape Dory 25? I am very seriously thinking of selling my Tohatsu Sailpro and converting to propane. Mercury makes a nice 5 hp propane outboard at a reasonable price. I like the Sail Master at 25 inches, but a friend suggests that the 5 hp, 20 inch model is cheaper and lighter and would probably work just as welly

Also, feel free to pitch in on the pros and cons of propane.

Thanks!
Carl Thunberg

Re: CD 25 Shaft Length

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Honestly, there is no replacement for running a tape measure from the top of the mounting board through the well and seeing what 20 or 25 inches looks like on your boat. Of course that assumes the boat is on the hard, so you can see it. Remember, shaft length is measured to the cavitation plate, not to the prop. I have no experience with propane powered outboards, so I'm no help with the second part of your question.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
casampson

Post by casampson »

Thanks for the helpful response. I took another look at my CD 25 and mentally cut off about 5 inches of my Tohatsu's 25-inch shaft. There isn't any doubt in my mind that the 20-inch shaft will work just fine.

As for propane, I bought a new Tohatsu 5 hp propane outboard yesterday. It's a Sail Pro with 20-inch shaft, and it is absolutely gorgeous. I am very excited about it, especially the fact that my wife will no longer say I am polluting the harbor with a loud, leaky, smokey, smelly gas engine every time we go out. Can't wait for spring.

Chris
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Congrats Chris! The most important thing about outboards on a CD is the the prop, just like for an inboard engine. You need to have the proper pitch & size for your engine's HP & RPM range.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I think that you have already made up your mind. I will not try to talk you out of what your heart feels is right.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27