Anti-Fouling Paint for my CD 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

casampson

Anti-Fouling Paint for my CD 25

Post by casampson »

Does anyone out there have any tips for keeping the marine growth off of an outboard mounted in the well of a CD 25? I gave mine two coats of a very expensive paint from Jamestown Distributors before launching in June. Yesterday, after I cast off to go meet the boys from Brownell at the boat ramp in town, I was surprised to find that I wasn't moving, even at full throttle. With my sails off and my mooring twenty feet away, I was contemplating throwing my anchor overboard and calling for help. Fortunately, however, we finally started moving at about 0.5 mph, which was enough to get me to the ramp. After being hauled out, I jumped down to look at my motor -- it was unrecognizable because of the mass of barnacles and other spongy things that had taken up residence. I was astounded.

Any way, if anyone has any advice on what to use, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Chris Sampson
Marion, MA
john_mendelson

Re: Anti-Fouling Paint for my CD 25

Post by john_mendelson »

Curious to hear the replies here. Despite painting mine (and with a new coat of ablative on the hull) I was also astounded at the amount of growth on both by the end of the season. The boat was on a mooring and sailed at least 1x/week. I think the growth on the outboard affected both the prop and the water intake.

John
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

I have a TySr with an outboard that lives in the well. I primed the lower unit and propeller with Interlux Primocon and paint seasonally with Trilux 33:

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/product ... 19361.html
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/product ... 43739.html

I pull the motor out once or twice per season and give a little scrub to knock off the growth. The efficacy wanes over time (maybe because I scrub off antifouling?). Growth seems to accelerate in the last month or so of the season, but as I recall it's more slime - no mussels, kelp, barnacles, etc.

The zinc was not painted and before I scrubbed it off had accumulated quite the colony of growth, so I do believe the paint is working.

EDIT: I should add that I am in Portland, Maine. Water temperature and conditions for growth are potentially quite different from yours.
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

It's like fighting the tide.
Best to pull the motor after a sail.
or---- make a canvas bag for the lower unit,
and fill it with fresh water and a cup of bleach.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

For about 10 years I had a SeaSprite 23 with a Tohatsu 6hp Sailpro outboard in a well.
I tried different spray-on antifouling paints meant for outboards but they did not work well for me.
I then used Pettit Hydrocoat Ablative antifouling paint on the outboard, same paint that I used on the hull.
It worked very well with only a few barnacles after 5 months continuously in the water.
I gave it a recoat each year - the lower part of the outboard and the prop.
SW Connecticut Long Island Sound waters.
I know that they don't recommend using regular copper-based antifouling paint on outboards but for me it caused no problems.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

tartansailor wrote:Best to pull the motor after a sail.
Just curious how do you stow it securely? I'd hate to put it in the cabin (smelly, wet).
keneasley wrote:I then used Pettit Hydrocoat Ablative antifouling paint on the outboard, same paint that I used on the hull.
Interesting.. I use Interlux ACT on my bottom. I wonder if I should give it a try. One less additional thing to buy.
SAIL1
SEASPRITE

Post by SAIL1 »

used this for over 12yrs with great success on chesepeake bay
...How to Make a Prop-Bucket for Outbd
go to "where to look" and then to "groups and publication" on this site to find a description....
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

SAIL1 wrote:used this for over 12yrs with great success on chesepeake bay
...How to Make a Prop-Bucket for Outbd
go to "where to look" and then to "groups and publication" on this site to find a description....
http://www.capedory.org/manuals/PropBucket.pdf

I have always wondered about these bucket/bag systems. So you need to fill the bucket with fresh water? That would be difficult for those of us on a mooring. Maybe you could just pump it out but then I'd think the bucket would bang around an awful lot.
SAIL1
SEASPRITE

Post by SAIL1 »

you do not need to fill the bucket with fresh water....it does not need to be watertite...it seems that just restricting the constant flow of water/nutrients prevents the marine growth from occuring..
the bucket is anchored off the skeg of the motor and combined with the constant tension of the bungy chord keeps the bucket upright and prevents it from flopping around...........
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

SAIL1 wrote:you do not need to fill the bucket with fresh water....it does not need to be watertite...it seems that just restricting the constant flow of water/nutrients prevents the marine growth from occuring..

Very interesting. Thanks!

EDIT: I bet blocking the light has something to do with it too...
casampson

Post by casampson »

No wonder my boat wouldn't go anywhere...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

On my former CD25, I left the outboard in the well if I was planning on using it again in the next couple days. If I knew I was going away for a week or more, I would pull the outboard and leave it on the cockpit sole. I was pretty young at the time, so I just muscled it in and out. Today, I'd rig up a hoist off the boom. Moving the outboard in an out of the well can be a PITA, but it is fool proof. While the motor well gives a clean transom, it comes at a price. Personally, I would have preferred an external motor mount on the transom, but I'm not hung up on aesthetics at the price of function.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
SAIL1
SEASPRITE

Post by SAIL1 »

this is what the prop bucket looked like after a couple of months
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

This is how I solved the problem. Took some time (30 hours?) but was worth it. No drag when sailing too.

Ken