Leaking fuel pump 1983 CD 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

adamganz

Leaking fuel pump 1983 CD 28

Post by adamganz »

Hi there esteemed sailors,

Hoping to get some suggestions for repairing/rebuilding/replacing fuel pump on our otherwise perfectly functioning and original Volvo Penta.

Any thoughts on someone in NYC/Tri-state area who could do this work?

Anybody know someone parting an engine with a functioning fuel pump?

Anyone know anyone generally in tri-state area that works on these engines?

I've read other posts so understand that this might cost us some money. I understand the alternatives so we're really just looking to get the existing engine fixed if at all possible.

Thank you!!!

Adam
mgphl52

Re: Leaking fuel pump 1983 CD 28

Post by mgphl52 »

Is it the lift pump or the injection pump? I just googled "volvo penta md7a fuel pump" and got lots of options for a lift pump, many under $100!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

If it is the low pressure lift pump, you have the options of replacing it or rebuilding it yourself. I replaced mine with a spare from Volvo and it is an easy fix but re-build kits were available for about half the price. At least they were when I did it 10 years ago.

If it is the injector pump, it will need to be rebuilt, and you need to think long and hard about the justification of the expense. Probably you have some time as they will often seep for awhile before they really start to leak badly but the smell is what annoys you the most. In my case, I determined the expense was not justified and re-powered at the end of the season. Any competent diesel injector pump rebuilder should be able to do the job but it won't be inexpensive, at least if done correctly.

It is a difficult decision and depends on your budget, how you use the boat, general condition of the engine, etc.

-Steve
adamganz

Post by adamganz »

Thanks for the responses.

This is where we continue to have issues getting the problem fixed...finding someone to actually do the work. Does anyone have a suggestion for a competent diesel injector pump rebuilder? East coast preferred.

Thank you for any leads.

Adam
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Would this work? Maybe you could email the seller to see if it would fit. -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265155769731?h ... SwzgRWvX~6
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Frenchy wrote:Would this work? Maybe you could email the seller to see if it would fit. -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265155769731?h ... SwzgRWvX~6
That does not look anything like the injector pump that was on my MD7A, unless my memory is getting that bad. LOL
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Jack.Ducas

Post by Jack.Ducas »

Hi Adam,
I believe Volvo used 2 different high pressure pumps for the MD7s. More than likely determined by the year of manufacture. Volvo made a MD7A and an MD7B which may also have been the determining factor as to which pump was used. I have some experience with these motors due to the fact that I have a 1982 CD30 that had low compression. It has since been replaced. I'm pretty sure but not positive that I have one of each of the pumps in my garage that can be rebuilt. There's a place in CT. that rebuilt my old pump, their name escapes me right now, I can find out if need be. Feel free to get in touch, or anyone for that matter, that may be in need of used Volvo MD7 parts. I have 3 of them in various states of assembly from running motors to many different parts.
CD30 FAYAWAY
Jack