Here we go again

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Capt Hook

Here we go again

Post by Capt Hook »

Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Here we go again

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Captain Hook:

Always :!: :!: :!: Especially for a fellow Cape Dory sailor with such a distinguished moniker. :D :D

On a serious note, all of the models (GFS, European, etc.) and all of their model runs are in very close agreement that soon to be Ida will make landfall somewhere between Houston and Gulfport. As always, NOAA/NHC guidance on wind strength at any point along the path is embryonic. Hopefully, it will not reach Cat. 2 or 3. Sadly, the Gulf waters are incredibly warm (above 84 degrees F) and a perfect breeding temp for hurricane development and strengthening.

All in Ida's path will be in my thoughts over the next 5-6 days.

BE SAFE; STAY SAFE
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

All those in the path of Ida should evacuate now. Category 4 storms are devastating, plain and simple. Good luck to all.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Capt Hook wrote:Here comes Ida and Jim Cantore.

https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/art ... 72483.html
Hang in there, Captain Hook! Will be sending lots of positive energy to keep you and Kumbaya safe...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Captain Hook and all in the path of Ida:

New Orleans, sadly, is projected to get the "dirty" East side of Ida. NOAA/NHC is predicting Ida will slow down once on land, in part because of other systems blocking a quick pass through LA, Miss, etc. Thus, a lot of rain and flooding in addition to 140-150 mph sustained winds. Not what NOLA needs.

Whether you decide to stay or evacuate (my choice with a Cat. 4/5), you will be in our thoughts.

As (if) conditions allow, please keep us posted on post-Ida situations.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I'm waiting till midday tomorrow to decide on moving KAYLA.. she's got TideRiders on her dock lines and can easily handle a 6+ foot rise in water. If current course predictions continue, I'm hoping to leave her at the dock.

Captain Hook, I do not know where in the NOLA area you have Kumbaya, but after spending time there several years ago, I do know that Pontchartrain is quite shallow for her size and can build some wicked swells! Please keep us up to date the best you can.

Best wishes for everyone involved!
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Captain Hook:

As you know, Jim Cantore has been spotted in New Orleans :!: :!: :!: This is bad news fo all in the area. He was last spotted on the south side of Lake Pontchartrain, at the sea wall. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mike:

As you may know as well, NOAA/NHC guidance shows Ida tracking a little more to the East. Tropical Storm warnings may soon be posted for your area (Niceville and Pensacola). If not already done, and if not too late to do so safely, you may want to move Kayla to your "hurricane hole". Better safe than sorry.

Captain Hook, Mike and all in the path of Ida, you are in our thoughts. We will hopefully hear from you late Monday, if not sooner.

BE SAFE; STAY SAFE
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Roberto:

Thanks! I'm actually trusting the incredibly tight models to just give use high water and a bunch of wind & rain. KAYLA has very strong, new pilings and tide-minders on her lines. I truly suspect our worst problem will be cleaning up all of the debris that comes over the seawall...

Captain Hook:

I hope you are well secured and safe, as Ida appears to have her sights set for NOLA...

Best wishes for any others in the path!!!
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

So far so good. Ida made landfall a few hours ago and looks like she'll pass about 40 miles west of us.

Kumbaya is at Municiapal Yacht Harbor now. It took almost 15 years after Katrina to get it back in full operation.

Good news is it's all floating docks, so no need to worry about dock lines. Just tie her up tight in the slip and she rises and falls with the docks, which rise and fall with the water level.

We have several more hours of wind to get through but so far we're in good shape.

We put in a whole house generator earlier this year so if we lose power from the local utility the generator will kick on.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Thanks for the update and glad to hear the good news!
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

NOLA got hit pretty bad by Ida. Has anyone heard from Captain Hook or others in that area :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

I'm ok.
Been doing clean up.
No major damage to house but lots of trees and tree limbs down.
No power from Entergy, but we have a Generac home generator.
We have a trickle of water, so we're good.
Don't know when groceries or gas stations will be open.
Almost all of New Orleans is out of electricity.
Haven't seen the boat yet.
The flood gates between the marina and town have not been opened yet as far as I know.
Thanks for everyones prayers and concerns.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Thanks for the update, Capt! Hope all is well when you get to the marina!
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Fingers crossed foe you guys. Y'all got smashed. Hang tough. Hopefully power will come back sooner rather than later. Hope the boats OK. Glad your safe Capt Hook.