Looking for CD28 or CD31

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Skipd

Looking for CD28 or CD31

Post by Skipd »

Am looking into selling my 1985 Albin 27 FC pocket trawler and purchasing either a 28 or 31. Any CD owners out there in New England thinking of selling or possibly even looking into a pocket trawler as their next choice?

Thanks

Skip
Steve Laume

Re: Looking for CD28 or CD31

Post by Steve Laume »

Don't forget the CD-30. It is much like the 28. The 31 is a much bigger boat and the lay out is entirely different.
Skipd

Post by Skipd »

Thanks for the comment Steve. The 30 certainly fits all the CD criteria I’m looking for, only reservation is, from what I understand, some have the reverse mounted engine. Have had a boat in the past with that configuration and found it difficult to work on. Nevertheless, I should include the 30 to expand my search and keep an open mind.
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Are you looking to do a trade?

V/r

Pete
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Are you looking to do a trade?

V/r

Pete
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

I'm kind of confused, OP said trawler? Does the trawler have a reverse engine just like the sailboat? If you are taking sailboat, I'd not be avoiding the CD 30 for that reason but if it still has the MD7A I'd avoid it for that reason. Especially if you were using the sailboat as a trawler and using the engine a lot.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

ghockaday wrote:I'm kind of confused, OP said trawler? Does the trawler have a reverse engine just like the sailboat? If you are taking sailboat, I'd not be avoiding the CD 30 for that reason but if it still has the MD7A I'd avoid it for that reason. Especially if you were using the sailboat as a trawler and using the engine a lot.
The way I read his post is that he wants to sell his trawler and move to sail...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

mgphl52 wrote:
ghockaday wrote:I'm kind of confused, OP said trawler? Does the trawler have a reverse engine just like the sailboat? If you are taking sailboat, I'd not be avoiding the CD 30 for that reason but if it still has the MD7A I'd avoid it for that reason. Especially if you were using the sailboat as a trawler and using the engine a lot.
The way I read his post is that he wants to sell his trawler and move to sail...
I think you are correct. Sounds like he wants to trade.
But I still think the MD7A is a end of life, especially if it is raw water cooled. With the reverse engine it does limit your replacement options.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Skipd

Post by Skipd »

Last comment is correct, I am looking to sell the trawler and get a sailboat. To the earlier comments, I had a sailboat in the past which had a reverse mounted engine that I found difficult to work on. The trawler does not have a reverse mounted engine. Agree the MD7A is small and in the end of life stage.
It seems some of the CD 30s have the reverse mounted engine, but from the posts I’ve seen that has not dampened enthusiasm for the boat.
As far as a trade, that is something I would certainly consider.