Is my CD28 sinking?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sailingscotland

Is my CD28 sinking?

Post by Sailingscotland »

I have noticed, while under way by engine, that if the revs are over 1500, water comes into the cockpit round the rudder stock. Also, under sail, in a fair breeze, same thing…water round the rudder stock. The cockpit is self draining, so no problem there, but just a bit alarming. Is this normal? Can it be cured? Or am I slowly sinking….. :roll:
Ian & Jan
Sailing Lazy Beaver
Cape Dory 28
gonesail

Re: Is my CD28 sinking?

Post by gonesail »

is there not a packing gland for the rudder on the 28?
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

How much water is in the bilge?
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

My CD28 has the same issue. the bearing (or packing) at the top of the rudder tube needs to be replaced. I haven't done it yet, so its an item on my project list. You aren't sinking unless you have water coming in somewhere else.
Bernie
CD28 Pinafore
Sequim WA
Sailingscotland

Good to know it’s not just me! Re bilges, very little in there. Only ever a small amount in the rear bilge. The self drain in the cockpit was re piped at the refit to take the water outboard. Very slight leak from the shaft stuffing gland. Not significant. Regards the gland on the rudder stock, what is involved in renewing that? Does it involve a lift out and removing the rudder or can it be done by removing the wooden surround on the cockpit sole? Any advice welcome here. :)

Thanks

Regards
Ian & Jan
Sailing Lazy Beaver
Cape Dory 28
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

Unfortunately, they all do that. The prop kicks up water into the rudder tube and there is no packing or seal to prevent the water migrating right up the rudder tube. It is worse if you have a lot of people onboard as the stern is lower in the water, worse also at higher engine speeds than lower. I've tried forcing grease into the tube from the top which maybe helped a bit but not for long. One owner installed a grease zerk on the fibreglass rudder tube and pumps in a bunch of water proof grease from time to time which he said helped. I'd be concerned the grease would migrate up the tube, thru the bearing and eventually make a greasy mess in the cockpit which is likely worse than the water to get out of your clothing.

While the water doesn't really hurt anything, it is annoying to always have water on the cockpit sole, as any line, chart, cushion, sweat shirt, book, etc. which falls ends up wet. On my boat, it only leaks while under power, not sailing. I don't think it has anything to do with the upper bearing as the bearing lacks a water seal, although I could imagine a worn bearing allowing more water thru then a newer one.

This is one of those problems which to solve is very difficult, so I just live with it.

Steve Bernd
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Mine doesn't have a packing gland either and I have brought this issue up before. I put a few wraps of silicon tape around it .It has made a big difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Sailingscotland

Many thanks for the comments. Looks like I just need to live with it. The survey I have mentioned slight play in the top bearing and suggested it should ‘be monitored’. Does anyone know what is involved in renewing that bearing? Does it involve a lift out to remove the rudder? Is it a DIY job? Happy enough with the situation at the moment, but at some point, looks like the bearing will need replaced.
Any thoughts from someone who has done this?

Regards
Ian & Jan
Sailing Lazy Beaver
Cape Dory 28