Electric Motor issue

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ghockaday

Electric Motor issue

Post by ghockaday »

First issue the have had with our electric yacht motor. We had to motor back today for about 3 hours and while going forward it went into reverse. Not by the throttle it switched when still set for forward. We put it in reverse and it went forward for a little while then switched back. I am guessing an issue in the pot in the throttle. I have a call into electric yacht to see. I am thinking corroded spot and it raises the resistance and it goes into reverse. Not sure. I see they have changed the throttle some.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Electric Motor issue

Post by John Stone »

Well that’s interesting. Is it some kind of polarity issue? How did you make it back? Keep us posted.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks for the heads up Dee. I'll keep a watch on mine. So far it has been running great.

Keith
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

John Stone wrote:Well that’s interesting. Is it some kind of polarity issue? How did you make it back? Keep us posted.
First time in 20 years I used my Sea Tow Member ship.

I gonna take a look tomorrow. Some of these pot boxes are 1 to 5K one direction and 5 to 10 K in the other. It could have hit a spot with higher resistance on the low side. We cleaned it like you use to do an old channel changer to get a clear pix. I'll see tomorrow when I pull it off.
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Keith wrote:Thanks for the heads up Dee. I'll keep a watch on mine. So far it has been running great.

Keith
Mine will be 3 years in October, no issues. Gonna see what Scott says tomorrow.
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Mike called me back and the engineer is out of the country, but he said it is usually the throttle that causes this. He is shipping me a new one out.
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Scott said not usually the throttle, it is usually an input board. They have had to replace a few. He said about the time mine was built they were finding issues. Been nice if they would have let me know ahead of time but they are nice folks. He said it was heat related and it was as hot as the hinges of hades that day and we had motored for 3 hours. He said they will send a new one out to me. Dee
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30