1 GM Fuel Pipe Leak

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gary H

1 GM Fuel Pipe Leak

Post by Gary H »

This photo shows the injector end of the high pressure fuel line. It appears that the weld on that fitting failed.
Perhaps due to vibration. Interesting that Yanmar has redesigned the line so that it takes a different route and must be secured to the engine block midway. I am waiting to receive it.
Jean - interesting that your engine continued to run despite spurting fuel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gary H on Jul 1st, '21, 08:46, edited 2 times in total.
CDSOA Member 1389
Bob Lascelles

Re: 1 GM Fuel Pipe Leak

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Hi Gary,
I have a 1GM in my 25D. I’ve had a little experience with 1GM fuel line leaks…they can be a pain. First thing to do is get a copy of the parts list for the 1GM. The diagrams help. I got mine as free download online. Your Yanmar dealer will also have one. The injector high pressure line is a pre-formed line which comes with a male tapered threaded fitting installed on the injector end of the pipe. I don’t believe they are sold separately. If your leak is on the return at the top of the injector the return uses a #8 banjo connection that is sealed by two soft copper crush washers. The hollow #8 bolt, banjo fitting and crush washers are sold separately. If I can offer advice don’t try to reuse the crush washers, they are one-time use items. Used ones can be relied on to leak…..
All the best
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

Thank you, Bob.
My leak is on the high pressure line supplying fuel to the injectors. I have removed and retightened the tapered nut and it is clear that nut does not provide the seal. Before removing the pipe, I was wondering if there is a rubber o-ring involved or it is just a flared pipe end pressed against the metal of the socket. My next step will be to remove the pipe and find out. I have the the full Yanmar parts book with all the diagrams but the end fittings do not show clearly.
Thank you for taking the time to answer
Gary
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Gary, I just thought I'd chime in since I had the very same problem. Bob is correct, by the way, - you have to replace
the whole injector line. It comes with the end fittings. More than likely, the steel tubing itself has developed a crack -
probably because of vibration. There is no rubber gasket.
In my case, the crack at the fitting was more severe and sprayed diesel over the engine compartment. That was enroute
to Block Island from New Bedford. My son and I spent several days in Block waiting for the injector line but in the end
decided to sail home without an engine.
Once you get this repaired, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare injector line on board. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

Thank you both, Bob and Jean. This is very helpful. I have ordered the new line.
I found the leak when searching for the cause of the engine not being able to idle without stalling and finally refusing to start.
Gary
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

74C66395-C471-412A-9EE1-9B8B7BCDD4EF.jpeg
74C66395-C471-412A-9EE1-9B8B7BCDD4EF.jpeg
Attached is a photo of the fitting at the injector end of the high pressure fuel pipe. It looks like the weld may have failed. Vibration? Interesting that Yanmar has redesigned this pipe so that it takes a different route and must be secured to the engine block midway. I am waiting to receive it.
Jean - interesting that your engine seems to have continued to run despite spurting fuel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CDSOA Member 1389