CD27 re-power to Beta

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

karonoko

CD27 re-power to Beta

Post by karonoko »

I have been told that to fit a Beta 14 in the engine mount platform, where my Yanmar YSM8 was, requires brackets to fit. The existing mount platform is higher aft than the forward part of the platform. An extra $800-1000. Does anyone know more about this? Thanks
T. Duffus
JD-MDR

Re: CD27 re-power to Beta

Post by JD-MDR »

I contacted the Beta guys about fitting a 16,I think, In my 30 K. They told me the kit includes the parts to modify the stringers to mount it. I bet they have whatever it takes to fit a 14 in the CD 27 all figured out also. Just call them.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

I have just learned that the Yanmar 1GM10 also requires some adjustments as well due to the aft part of the engine compartment being slightly higher, but I think not as much alteration as the Beta. I saw my old YSM this morning -- it's out of the boat -- it had a crack in the head . . . the new 1GM10 is arriving this week and hopefully the install will go well.
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

I engineered the adaptive stringers for the Beta 20/16/14 to fit in the CD 30 that had the Volvo MD7A/walters v-drive originally installed. I made the first set for my own repower to the Beta 20 in my CD-30. I sold a number of stringers to folks that were repowering their 30's with the Beta.
Lately I have given (free) the spec. drawings to folks who are repowering so they can make their own. I gave the drawings to Beta-Marine in North Carolina as well to supply for their customers, either the kit or the drawings.
I'm the Beta Marine Dealer here in Oregon, just taking the credit for the adaptive stringers so to speak.
Cheers, Ben Thomas Oregon Marine Industries/Beta Marine Oregon
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

I engineered the adaptive stringers for the Beta 20/16/14 to fit in the CD 30 that had the Volvo MD7A/walters v-drive originally installed. I made the first set for my own repower to the Beta 20 in my CD-30. I sold a number of stringers to folks that were repowering their 30's with the Beta.
Lately I have given (free) the spec. drawings to folks who are repowering so they can make their own. I gave the drawings to Beta-Marine in North Carolina as well to supply for their customers, either the kit or the drawings.
I'm the Beta Marine Dealer here in Oregon, just taking the credit for the adaptive stringers so to speak.
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Kailua Kid

Post by Kailua Kid »

Good work, Ben. Thank you for sharing. Nice to have such expertise on the forum.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Yay. Ben. Thank you
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
karonoko

Post by karonoko »

I heard today that the adaptive brackets for the Beta14 are like 7 weeks out, and the NC shop is out of the engines and they need to be restocked from England. Does this jive with what others know? I am now looking at a sail-less summer and a winter re-power…..
T. Duffus
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

We just built up the original ysm forward engine mount with g10 ... used a wood jig to figure height. You have some leeway in the factory mounts ... the stock Beta 14 will fit on just the forward mount - the canted rear mounts can be ignored.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hhxvy4nq6zst5 ... s.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ejfu14dlzx1m ... s.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8y1xrar11gis7 ... s.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d047ml71r7ar ... s.JPG?dl=0
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Ben Thomas wrote:I engineered the adaptive stringers for the Beta 20/16/14 to fit in the CD 30 that had the Volvo MD7A/walters v-drive originally installed. I made the first set for my own repower to the Beta 20 in my CD-30. I sold a number of stringers to folks that were repowering their 30's with the Beta.
I tried to get the drawings when we were looking at Beta and struck out with everyone we tried. I thought I had even called you if I remember correctly. Oh well, we went electric instead. Dee
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
karonoko

Post by karonoko »

Update on Scotia and her blown out Yanmar…..they hauled her today to start the engine removal. So sad. Our harbor has extreme tidal currents and if the tide and wind don’t cooperate, I am not getting in or out, so no sailing this summer.
My new Beta 14 is on order at the England marine factory, and hopefully my engine guy has ordered the brackets needed for the difference mounting levels. That is an 8 weeks wait. I will take the opportunity to do some other work, maybe even paint her topsides.
T. Duffus
karonoko

Post by karonoko »

Update. Scotia’s new Beta 14 coming soon. Boat yard decided to ise white oak to fair the forward mounting stingers to fit the Beta, rather than custom brackets to fit the weird high stern mounts situation that fit my Yanmar. Saves a boatload of money and time. Any opinions out there about this?
Many thanks. Might get a sail in this year afterall…..
T. Duffus
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

Glad you are getting closer with the repowering. I'm still waiting for the installation of my new 1GM10 to be completed. The brackets have bee fabricated so it is almost ready to go in. I ended up needing a new shaft since the engine had to be moved forward a few inches and the shaft was too short. While everything is apart, I am also replacing the cutlass bearing and stuffing box. Still hoping to get a bit of a season in . . . hope yours takes less time.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

You certainly dont need custom brackets if you’ve got the original ysm pan and mounts. Did you look at the pix by following the links i posted above. We used wood to model the risers llbut opted for three 1/2 inch g10 plates epoxied then glassed and bagged to the forward ysm stringers. Pictures tell all. Since the stock mounts have some vertical range, there is no exact necessary spec. We did 1 1/2 inches because g10 comes commonly in that thickness and the shop my boat was in had it in stock. That thickness kept the stock mounts within working range ( ir not too tall which Beta specifically advises against). You can tap machine threading into g10 btw. If you use stainless bolts youll never have rusting or rotting.

Its a very easy mod.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay