Stuffing Box Hose

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Stuffing Box Hose

Post by tjr818 »

I will be replacing the cutless bearing and stuffing box hose this summer. Is there any sealant required for the hose? On Amazon they pair the hose with 3M 5200. I can't imagine that 5200 would be needed and I am really hoping that the guy before me did not use 5200.n
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Stuffing Box Hose

Post by John Stone »

tjr818 wrote:I will be replacing the cutless bearing and stuffing box hose this summer. Is there any sealant required for the hose? On Amazon they pair the hose with 3M 5200. I can't imagine that 5200 would be needed and I am really hoping that the guy before me did not use 5200.n
Well now that you have moved to another boat I’m not sure what your cutlass bearing stuffing box looks like. But as a rule no caulk on the hose. Zero. Four hose clamps if they will fit. oriented opposite directions if possible.

I used a small amount of 3m 4000 on my Cutlass bearing. Then held in place with two set screws.

I am not a fan of 5200. Never used it on the FR. I know other people sometimes use it but it does not do anything that 4000 or 4200 will not do except except make you swear to never use it again when you want to remove the offending part at some point down the road while trying not to damage your boat in the process.
S/V Ethan Grey

Re: Stuffing Box Hose

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Just to tag onto this. No 5200. Just clamps. I just changed mine out. Pretty easy on the CD30 once you remove the engine ;). I did mine just like this: https://marinehowto.com/re-packing-a-tr ... ffing-box/ One thing I wish I did differently was use interlocking t-clamps rather than spot welded ones: https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/conv ... ing-boxes/ Also, get real stuffing box hose. My boat had exhaust hose instead of stuffing box hose, there is a HUGE difference in wall thickness between the two.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947