Ty Sr Trailering

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jsimard

Ty Sr Trailering

Post by jsimard »

I'm going to be trailering a new to me Ty Sr and would appreciate any advice regarding trailering with or without the 6HP outboard mounted in the lazaret well. I'm guessing it should be removed before trailering for a 500 mile ride. Thanks for any thoughts.
christhemacguy

Re: Ty Sr Trailering

Post by christhemacguy »

I would remove it. The stress from bumping along for 500 miles is not nice to fiberglass.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I would also suggest going back to your multiple posts and deleting them.
We currently have an issue with the message board software that makes
people think something didn't post when it really did!

As the original author of a post, you can delete (the duplicates) as long as no replies have been added to that hread.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

jsimard wrote:I'm going to be trailering a new to me Ty Sr and would appreciate any advice regarding trailering with or without the 6HP outboard mounted in the lazaret well. I'm guessing it should be removed before trailering for a 500 mile ride. Thanks for any thoughts.
I left mine in for the 175 mile trip I took at purchase time. My motor only weights about 60 lbs. and hangs off a stout piece of wood mounted in the well. My opinion is it's designed to carry that weight.

Of course it certainly wouldn't hurt to remove the motor if you want to be super cautious. Not sure what a 6hp weighs. I would guess though that back in the eighties when our TySeniors were built your typical outboard weighed more than modern ones do. And in any case CDs are built very sturdy. Personally I wouldn't worry a bit about having the motor in the well while trailering, as long as it's mounted securely and you're not careening over bumpy roads.

Let's see a photo of your Ty. Where is it?

I remember the day I brought mine home was exciting and stressful. The trailer was a homemade job and I had no idea about the condition of the wheel hub bearings. Took it to a shop on the way out (owner refused to have the bearings checked himself) and they took a quick look but didn't have the parts on hand to change any bearings. So I drove 45 mph in the slow lane and stopped frequently to check. It was fine. Just take your time.