Replicating V-Berth Insert for CD Typhoon Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Triton704
Location: 1982 Typhoon Weekender, Hull# 1874, "True Love", West River, MD

Replicating V-Berth Insert for CD Typhoon Weekender

Post by Triton704 »

I recently purchased a Typhoon Weekender that is missing the insert that provides a cover for the porta potty as well as enlarges the v-berth (the vertical piece is in place however). I would appreciate any pics (top and bottom) and tips for fabricating a replacement
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Villamil

Re: Replicating V-Berth Insert for CD Typhoon Weekender

Post by Dick Villamil »

I will get some photos for you however I have installed a mast support (removable and adjustable) where the porta potty goes). I really like the teak/holly cabin sole - is it original? What year/hull number is your Ty?

Depending on the condition of the mast arce It is important to be aware of cabin /deck sag from the older Typhoons.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Hi,

Google "Cape Dory Typhoon Interiors" and you'll see some pics. I'm sure other Typhoon owners will chime in with exact dimensions.

Typhoons are most certainly one of the prettiest boats ever designed by Carl Alberg, or by anyone else for that matter.

Cheers
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Triton704

Post by Triton704 »

True Love was built in 1982, Hull 1874. She did come with a removable compression post, although I am not sure it is needed. Deck and Hull in vg condition. thanks for any pics
Peter Young
Location: Typhoon Weekender, Indefatigable, Burlington VT (Hull #203)

Post by Peter Young »

So, good excuse to open up the tarps even though we are still two months from getting into the water. Here is a photo of the insert from my '71. Note that it's only a 1/2 inch think, and it sets in place by the use of three cleats on the underside. Width towards the stern is 15', length is 18'.
Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Triton704

Post by Triton704 »

Exactly what I needed Peter, particularly board thickness. Many thanks!