Rethinking the Dinghy - The "Portland Pudgy"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MHBsailor

Re: Rethinking the Dinghy - The "Portland Pudgy"

Post by MHBsailor »

Deck mounting is out of the question on a CD22/22D, hence a towable dinghy is the only option for a hard dinghy. I will be sailing on Buzzard's Bay in Massachusetts at times and therefore the dinghy needs to be very seaworthy due to the notorious winds and chop. I'm wondering if the dinghy in the attached photo is a Fatty Knees (one of my finalists) or something else? I also like the PeaPod, but it seems to long (13') and heavy to tow with a 22-foot CD (I've seen one in person). When I spoke with the PeaPod's manufacturer Ballentine's Boatyard recently, they suggested I also consider the Shellback. Fortunately both manufacturers are within an hour's driving distance and offered the chance to take them out for a spin, which I will do once I get my 22D launched. But I really like the lines of the dinghy in the photo and would like to know what it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MHB Sailor
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

I don't know if that is a Fatty Knees or not, but another small boat to consider is the Montgomery 6-8. It is the dinghy that Lin and Larry Pardey used with Seraffyn and is a 6'-8" faux lapstrake pram design. I don't think anyone is currently making the boat, but you might be able to find one used if you keep an eye out in the usual places.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

Here are a couple of pics of a Fatty Knees, for comparison to your pic. edit: Pretty sure the boat in your pic is not a Fatty Knees, based on the stem. If you look at the Fatty Knees, the stem is pretty plumb down to the forefoot radius, whereas the stem on the boat in your pic is raked a little bit.
Tod Mills
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

The BCC in the photo is Aloha. I sailed on her once when she was owned by Tom and Anice Walkers.
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

John Stone wrote:The BCC in the photo is Aloha. I sailed on her once when she was owned by Tom and Anice Walkers.
Cool! What a small world. At the time of the photo, 2004, she was owned by Kate Christensen. She and Bernie Jackits had organized a Lyle Hess Rendezvous at Vera's White Sands Restaurant (St. Leonard's Creek, off the Patuxent).
Tod Mills
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

At long last I finally found a suitable dinghy - a used Trinka 8 in good condition (with the sailing kit as a bonus) after narrowly missing on a used Fatty Knees in my area. Took it our for a spin this evening and it is so much better than my previous old beat up beach dinghy. I read a number of very positive reviews in several cruising forums and it didn't disappoint - very stable and excellent manners in waves. Put the full-court press on this one to get there first (the owner said there were several in line behind me).
MHB Sailor
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

NarragansettSailor wrote:At long last I finally found a suitable dinghy - a used Trinka 8 in good condition (with the sailing kit as a bonus) after narrowly missing on a used Fatty Knees in my area. Took it our for a spin this evening and it is so much better than my previous old beat up beach dinghy. I read a number of very positive reviews in several cruising forums and it didn't disappoint - very stable and excellent manners in waves. Put the full-court press on this one to get there first (the owner said there were several in line behind me).
From everything I have heard the Trinka is a fine dinghy. Bet you are going to be very happy with her. Congrats.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

John Danicic on this board can make you one of these. Not during sailing season though. Smart man.

Mine has been ridden hard and put away wet for 17 years. Design comes from Dave Gerr’s Nester Dinghy but is heavily modified.

If anyone can describe how to rotate uploaded photos, that would be great!
Paul
CDSOA Member
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

I've attached a photo of my Trinka 8 being towed by my CD 22D. It tracks true and negotiates waves with aplomb without veering all over the place. It does feel like it adds some noticeable drag (it's only 85 lbs).
MHB Sailor
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

NarragansettSailor wrote:I've attached a photo of my Trinka 8 being towed by my CD 22D. It tracks true and negotiates waves with aplomb without veering all over the place. It does feel like it adds some noticeable drag (it's only 85 lbs).
The old way to negotiate excess drag associated with the dinghy was to let it ride at the "top of the second wave" behind the big boat. This usually makes very little difference in the long run unless you are going some distance, but it does however require a long painter (sometimes very long). We always fitted fisherman floats on the painter with sufficient spacing to prevent it becoming entangled with the prop. Works well until it doesn't, as we learned when backing down in far away anchorages. Then a swim (with knife) was required.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Paul D. wrote:John Danicic on this board can make you one of these. Not during sailing season though. Smart man.

Mine has been ridden hard and put away wet for 17 years. Design comes from Dave Gerr’s Nester Dinghy but is heavily modified.

If anyone can describe how to rotate uploaded photos, that would be great!

I have found that if you rotate your photos 360 deg (4 clicks either clockwise or country clockwise) then hit save before to try to attach them to this sight that they will attach with the correct orientation.

PS that is on an IMac

Keith
Keith

Post by Keith »

that was supposed to be counter clockwise!!! I hate spell check!!!!
Bethbrownebooks

Post by Bethbrownebooks »

Personally, I love the Pudgy, but I got a Walker Bay 8 with a sail rig and I love it!! Super stable, rows and sails well and weighs about 60lbs. I put a 2hp outboard on it and she'll take me anywhere. Add the optional inflatable pontoons and she will be even more stable. If you want to see her, I have a vlog. https://youtu.be/x0FbjsthSyQ
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

I also have a Walker Bay 8. We don't use a motor on it, preferring to row. I stow it on the fore deck , and tow it while under way. My crew, She Who Must Be Obeyed, is just under 5 ft and can't see over it so we always tow. I was looking at several options, including building one, but the Walker Bay showed up online for $400 with oars but no sail rig. It would be easy to make a dagger board, rudder and tiller, and a sail rig for it, but we haven't felt a need for that yet. Its pretty light at 72 lbs and rows pretty well. We'll keep it.