Painting the Spar "attachments"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

CMatos

Painting the Spar "attachments"

Post by CMatos »

I acquired a 1984 CD-22 with all original equipment...it's an awesome boat! However, most of the spar "attachments" - boom ends, cleats, winch base, etc. - which were originally painted black have seen better days; most of the paint is gone. I considered replacing them but most are still in good shape and I thought sanding them and repainting them might suffice to restore their original look.
Do you guys have any suggestions? Does anyone know what the original base metal to these items was? All the aluminum and stainless steel on the spars is in fine shape.
bottomscraper

Re: Painting the Spar "attachments"

Post by bottomscraper »

They may be anodized aluminum rather than painted. Is it flaking off or just worn away? If it's not flaking it is probably anodized. I believe it is possible to anodize at home, I have never tried it.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I have painted some of them. Some with interlux perfection and some with spray paint. Both have held up well and I’m still glad I did it all these years later (I think I painted them in 2011 or 2012). Given the ease of spray paint, that’s the route I’d recommend. For the sprayed parts, I used a copper color that I thought matched bronze rather well (even better than the bronze paint color actually). For the parts I painted with interlux I used the same white I used to paint my mast.

You obviously want the parts super clean first. Several light coats is best as is usually the case.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I built a new boom for Raven a few years ago. With a nice shiny extrusion, the end looked pretty shabby and it is right in front of your face when at the helm. I had it off the old boom anyway so it was the perfect time to do something with it. I chose to polish it, rather than paint it. I hit it with very fine sand paper and then took it to the buffer. It didn't take too long to get it gleaming. I figured it might be an annual task to keep it looking good but it has held up for a few years now. I could have clear coated it but that just creates one more step when re polishing. This might not be the best solution for all your fittings but it worked out great for the boom end, Steve.
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

I took the winch bases off the mast of my CD 27 two seasons ago. Removing them was a chore. Patience and persistence with an impact screwdriver only broke one bolt. Then gentle thermal persuasion. Then sanded and spray painted black. I like them but it took some effort.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."