Lazarette hatch - My First Fiberglass project

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

csoule13

Lazarette hatch - My First Fiberglass project

Post by csoule13 »

It's like Fisher Price for adults.

The core on at least part of the lazarette hatch is soft. At some point I'd like to recore the cockpit sole, so the hatch seems like a good starter project.

While I understand the broad strokes of the project, a couple questions before I get going:
- How does one figure out quantities for a project like this? I assume 3 layers of 1708, so that's easy enough to figure out. What about volume of epoxy?
- Plywood or balsa for the core? The foam cores seem overkill for this.
- Any particular pitfalls or a-ha moments you've stumbled over that is missing from the usual literature on this?

Will add photos as I move along on this.

Thx,
Chris
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Lazarette hatch - My First Fiberglass project

Post by tjr818 »

Chris, This is a project I have planned in my head many times, but I have never done it. I would take the hatch lid off and put out the area from the inside leaving the non-skid undisturbed, however that would not give you the "practice" that you want for doing the cockpit sole. Still, every bit of practice helps. Good luck with the project and please post photos along the way.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

csoule13 wrote:It's like Fisher Price for adults.

The core on at least part of the lazarette hatch is soft. At some point I'd like to recore the cockpit sole, so the hatch seems like a good starter project.

While I understand the broad strokes of the project, a couple questions before I get going:
- How does one figure out quantities for a project like this? I assume 3 layers of 1708, so that's easy enough to figure out. What about volume of epoxy?
- Plywood or balsa for the core? The foam cores seem overkill for this.
- Any particular pitfalls or a-ha moments you've stumbled over that is missing from the usual literature on this?

Will add photos as I move along on this.

Thx,
Chris
If your hatch has any camber the balsa core material will conform to the surface whereas the plywood would resist bending.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

Lay up a sample first and compare it the fiberglass you removed from the deck. I did three layers in my cockpit and ended up sanding basically the entire top layer off. With thin fiberglass like this I also like to start with the largest piece of fiberglass and work my way smaller. There may be a little more fairing to do but you get the greatest possible bonding area that way.
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Chris
This is not difficult. But, like anything takes a little skill and some knowledge about what you are doing. I have completed to many projects like this to describe. I have recored great portions of the deck of the Far Reach. Can’t tell a repair was made and I did all of it from the top down.

Anyway, instead of explaining it here go to this link and download a free copy of the West System Epoxy Boat Repair Manual. That’s how I learned. I read it. Made Notes. And eased my way into it. The results were terrific and predictable. https://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/u ... l-2015.pdf

There are a lot of epoxies out there. Most are probably pretty good. But, they all behave a little differently. So my advice is pick one and stick with it. I chose West Systems. They have a great Tech Support line. I called them many times while rebuilding my boat. Was on first name basis with all the reps. Great bunch of folks. Very helpful.

Here is a link to my boat rebuild site. Might be of use to you. http://www.farreachvoyages.com/

Good luck.
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Thanks John, I've got your site bookmarked and it is a very useful resource. Any tips on figuring how much epoxy to use?
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

csoule13 wrote:Thanks John, I've got your site bookmarked and it is a very useful resource. Any tips on figuring how much epoxy to use?

I have never had to think about being accurate on a small project. I just need to know I have enough on hand. I buy epoxy resin by the gallon.

But if you are going to wet out three layers of biaxial about 18”x18” I’d guess that’s about a cup and a half of resin/hardner mixed, so about 6 ozs. Just a guess though.

Remember, you’re always going to have some left over. And you’re also going to squeegee some amount out of the cloth. As you wet out each layer of biaxial you can take the epoxy you squeegeed off the first layer and add it too the second layer and so on and so forth.