running my main to the cockpit?? CD 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Smitty102460

running my main to the cockpit?? CD 28

Post by Smitty102460 »

I've been thinking of adding a block to the bottom of the mast and moving the main winch back to the cockpit for easier raising and lowering without having to go up on the deck. Any one do this, and any suggestions?
mgphl52

Re: running my main to the cockpit?? CD 28

Post by mgphl52 »

I've found it much easier to raise a main sail by jumping the halyard at the mast and only using the winch at the end for proper tension. Putting another pair of blocks (would take a second one to clear the salon hatch) will add friction to the effort. And then you have the addition "clutter" of the halyard in your cockpit.

But these are just my thoughts, YMMV...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

My C25 was set up with a block at the mast base a block attached to the grab rail and a cleat back on the port cabin top. Due to the size of the sail no winch was needed. In an emergency getting the sail down without leaving the cockpit was nice.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
Smitty102460

Post by Smitty102460 »

Great thoughts. Thanks for the inpute.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

With the main halyard led to the cockpit you can still raise the sail at the mast. You or crew will have to hold onto the halyard until you can reach the stopper/line brake or cleat. You can always tighten up with the winch back at the cockpit. If you are solo I would try leading the halyard once around the winch and then take the bitter end back with you to the mast hold on to it after the sailboat is raised and then take it back to the cockpit as you return. I think being able to drop the sail from the cockpit is a great advantage.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

What about sailing solo (and reefing) ... I don’t see how this works unless everything is led back ? Also, some mainsails need a little encouragement to drop, although mine comes right down except for the last 2-3 slides.

For dropping the main I’ve adopted Neil Gordon’s suggested method which is to sheet the main as if fairly close hauled but not tight and let the tiller go free (jib is already rolled up). Make sure you have as much way on as just the main will provide. Generally the boat will self tack (quite slowly) at least once. Usually twice, sometimes thrice. I’ve gotten so used to the maneuver that I’m usually dropping the main on the first tack. I don’t need to rush. Our boats generally settle beam to wind after the main drops and the tiller or wheel is free. Lazy jacks are my friend as I throw a few sail ties on ... beam to wind the boat hardly travels at all, maybe at 1/2 knot downwind but sometimes I feel like I’m nearly stationary.. no need to start the motor, no need for an autopilot, no need for crew. Usually if I position myself well I can put the sail away completely, get out fenders and docking lines and prepare completely to enter the marina, just dead in the water.

Apologies for a little thread creep ...

Cheers
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

What you propose is not helpful in raising the main, but it sure is helpful in lowering the main from the cockpit. A little dry lube on the sail slugs plus gravity brings the sail down (most of the way anyway). Very very helpful if you are alone and with inexperienced crew or guests you are alone anyway. I had this system on my 25D, so speak from experience.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Didn't see this explicitly called out, but the main halyard isn't the only line one deals with in the course of a sail. I'm agnostic about running it to the cockpit. Last season, I tried it out. Next season, I'll go back to having it at the mast.

Why?

It didn't save me anything. I still had to leave the cockpit to deal with the topping lift. I still had to leave the cockpit to deal with the reefing line.

Otherwise, agree on the folks who point out the additional clutter in the cockpit as well as the additional friction for every turn the line needs to make.

End the day, none of us are the captain of *your* boat, and you gotta do what works for you.
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

for what it's worth, I installed a boom kicker on my Typhoon and previously on a 26 footer. No need for a topping lift.
I put a small block at the base of the mast to run the tack reefing line to the cockpit and in the Typhoon, the halyards run to the cockpit.
The only time I leave the cockpit is to free up a snag of some sort on deck.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

halyards led aft - not recomended

Post by sgbernd »

My CD28 has both halyards led aft to the cockpit. I sometimes raise the jib from the cockpit but not the main for several reasons. 1) it leaves the halyard in the cockpit rather than neatly stowed, out of the way, on the cleat at the base of the mast. 2) the added friction of the blocks, clutch, and fairleads makes it harder to get the sail properly tensioned and harder to get down, 3) when time to reef, you are at the mast anyway and now dropping the main partially is not easy, and 4) if you are with other passengers, you have to chase them away to the stern of the cockpit to give yourself room to work so you don't elbow one of them in the face. While it seems a good idea, and somebody went to the expense of ordering mine from the factory that way, it isn't very useful. Ultimately, it is easier and neater just to do it all at the mast.

steve bernd
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

mgphl52 wrote:I've found it much easier to raise a main sail by jumping the halyard at the mast and only using the winch at the end for proper tension. Putting another pair of blocks (would take a second one to clear the salon hatch) will add friction to the effort. And then you have the addition "clutter" of the halyard in your cockpit.
my lines are led back to cockpit which work OK for me. my only gripe is that the main halyard exits the mast about 3 feet above the deck. Jumping the main is impossible. not happy with CD for doing this :!: :!:
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

gonesail wrote: my lines are led back to cockpit which work OK for me. my only gripe is that the main halyard exits the mast about 3 feet above the deck. Jumping the main is impossible. not happy with CD for doing this :!: :!:
According to what I've heard from others on this board, both your mast and mine are "non-standard" as Cape Dory didn't do internal halyards, other than the Typhoon WE (and other Tys?).
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I prefer, even on a 33, going to the mast to do all mainsail handling other than trimming it. To me it wouldn't make sense to lead only a halyard back to the cockpit unless all the reefing lines were also led back. That would then take some serious consideration on our boats, for layout of the cockpit as they weren't designed for this. I think it comes down to how you sail and what works best for you. Lines led to the mast does require some thought when preparing to hoist or douse the main though and can be a bit more tedious in tight situations.
Paul
CDSOA Member
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

The main benefit of leading the halyard back to the cockpit is not in raising the sail, but in dropping the sail.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Whatever makes you happy. I keep everything at the mast. The only control lines I have in the cockpit are the sheets. I singlehand all the time. For me, all the aft led turning blocks and holes in the deck and clutter in the cockpit negate any perceived advantages.

The key is to experience a well set up deck, mast, and halyard system where everything works smoothly. Additionally, it’s not all about control lines. It’s also about deck clutter and biminis, fuel cans lashed to stanchions, dodgers and stuff in the way making it difficult to get to the mast. Streamline your boat and make it easy to move about and handle lines. Ensure all the lines are in good shape and all the blocks are lubricated and smooth turning. Once you have experienced that you might feel differently about having a clean simple organized system at the mast.