What's under the fiberglass in the head on CD28?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Rockinar

What's under the fiberglass in the head on CD28?

Post by Rockinar »

I removed the nasty old non functioning Groco head from my CD28. I bought a Lavac to replace it. Obviously the bolt pattern is different. Anyone know what's under the raised section of fiberglass in the head area? When I took the Groco head out, the screw pulled up up what seemed to be some rotten wood of some sort. Not sure if theres thick plywood, or soft balsa or what under there. I trying to come up with a bulletproof way to mount the new head. Im tempted to cut a section out and glass in a piece of plywood with a some countersunk bolts, but not sure whats under it.

Ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Laume

Re: What's under the fiberglass in the head on CD28?

Post by Steve Laume »

There is 3/4" plywood under there.

When I changed heads, I didn't like the idea of it being lagged down instead of through bolted. I instally an inspection port in the area of the upper right portion of your photo. The plywood was good under mine but I used big fender washers and blots to secure the new head.

You don't want that pony coming lose during a ride, Steve.
rorik

Post by rorik »

I also installed a Lavac, with a stainless vent on the face of the raised area, about where the bolt is in the picture.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Hello Rocknar,

My Intrepid 9 Meter is not too different.
I recently cut a hole in the plastic under the toilet so that I could put in a Deck Plate so that I could easily clean under there.
I purchased a Sea-Dog 337140 White 4-1/2" Screw-Out DeckPlate on eBay for about $15.
I used a hole saw and electric drill and cut out the appropriate sized hole (I had test cut the hole on some old plywood at home first).
The hole gives plenty of access to see and reach under there and is a quick and clean looking solution.
I have what looks like 1/2" plywood under the toilet.
My toilet was screwed down.
I plan to through bolt it with stainless steal fasteners and some large fender washers.

Picture with the new Deck Plate.
Head_Deck_Plate_1.JPG

Picture of hole.
Head_Deck_Plate_2.JPG

Picture of plywood under toilet.
Head_Deck_Plate_3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut