Knurled Knobs for Beta Water Pump Cover

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Knurled Knobs for Beta Water Pump Cover

Post by John Stone »

Hi Everyone. Several people on the forum as well as Tim Lackey recommended I replace the stock fasteners that secure the water pump cover plate for the Beta diesel with knurled knob fasteners. The knurled knobs are supposed to be very easy and fast to remove (requires no tools) so the impeller can be changed quickly should it self-destruct or fail to pump water for whatever reason.

I purchased them at McMaster Carr. They screwed right in. Well made. Easy to grip.

Here is the part number if interested. https://www.mcmaster.com/92957A160/

This info is also posted on my engine install thread but it seems like useful info for anyone with a Beta engine Who might know want to follow that tome of a thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben Thomas

Re: Knurled Knobs for Beta Water Pump Cover

Post by Ben Thomas »

Thanks for the tip. The original "Speed Seal" group is no longer in business. Their one page web site says their patents etc. for USA and UK are up for sale.
McMaster Carr is a great place for hard to find items.
Great tip!
Cheers
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Am I missing something or is the threaded portion of the knobed screw much shorter than the original? From the photograph, it appears that both screws are the same length but the shoulder would limit the amount of the threads that could engage the water pump housing. The convenience is great but make sure you are not going to suffer a reliability issue.

When I replaced the water pump on my Universal engine I was pleased to see that the new one used an O ring instead of a thin paper gasket. I never minded dealing with the 4 screws that hold the cover on. I keep a combination screwdriver in the top (junk) drawer that is right next to the engine compartment. If I am changing the impeller, it never seemed like too much trouble to grab the screw driver and a new impeller before I start.

I also have a stainless steel adjustable wrench that hangs just inside the companionway and a rigging pliers in the drawer. There is a plastic tube in the engine compartment that hold the wrenches nessicary for adjusting the belt tension as well.

Those little knobs are pretty nifty but make sure they are long enough, Steve.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Steve
They are a bit shorter. Agree, would be ideal if they were the same length. But by all accounts they work very well. There is five full threads engaged. There is very little tension on them. Sounds like you have a system you like and trust. What could be better than that?
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Ben Thomas wrote: The original "Speed Seal" group is no longer in business.
The Beta pump (at least the part #207-08922 on my B38) already has a groove for an o-ring. A "Speed Seal" would be redundant.

I also used thumbscrews from McMaster Carr although a slightly different style: https://www.mcmaster.com/92545A143/ they lack the shoulder and the hex socket but have longer thread. I do use a flat washer under them: https://www.mcmaster.com/90965A150/.

The o-rings for the pump are 2mm Width, 52mm ID, 54mm OD :https://www.mcmaster.com/9262K531/

If you buy the impellers from Beta #207-09041 they come with an o-ring. The generic Johnson Impeller is #09-810b-1 they will not come with an o-ring.

These were parts for my Beta 38, I believe they fit many different models but please verify before ordering.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

I like that drip pan you fashioned John ...
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

The removable drip pan is a marvel of innovative engineering. I don't know why all boats are not equipped with something like this. I don't think there is room for one under Raven's engine

Kind wish there was and I would be making up a pan, Steve,