New CD36 owners need orientation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

deweymt

New CD36 owners need orientation

Post by deweymt »

My wife and I bought Harmony, a 1983 cutter-rigged CD 36 in August. For various reasons, the walk-through, post-closing with the former owner was terribly rushed and, in any case, being our first cruising boat, we didn't know what to look for or ask about at that time anyway. The boat actually came with a meticulously organized and seemingly thorough set of checklists (from owners prior to those we bought the boat from) but there are many elements of those notes that require more understanding of the boat.
Now, with Harmony on the hard in a boatyard near Fall River, MA, we're looking for a real orientation on the boat; top to bottom, where all the systems/controls are and how they work, what we need to know about maintenance for each and, particularly, how to prepare for winterizing now. Whether it's an experienced CD36 owner or a marine mechanic who knows the boat, we'd be very happy to pay for such an orientation. Anyone out there in the CD Association who could do this and/or have recommendations ? Thank you in advance and thrilled to be part of this group and beginning our cruising adventures!
Northstar1014

Re: New CD36 owners need orientation

Post by Northstar1014 »

Welcome!

For a full-service mechanic, I would contact Dan Crete at Saltworks Marine in Marion. He helped me maintain my Cape Dory and he is an expert, especially when it comes to diesels. His prices are competitive. He is mobile, so would likely travel to Fall River if that is what you are looking for. SaltworksMarine@gmail.com or 508-317-2599. Tell him Ted Talbot referred you.

Aside from that, post your photos and questions and use the resources of this board to help you navigate your new boat. Everyone is happy to help you. Best, Ted
S/V RESOLVED. 1983 CD-27. Westerbeke W-13.

Massachusetts
deweymt

Post by deweymt »

Thanks very much for this recommendation! Good to know and you're right, Marion isn't too far from Fall River (it's actually at Shaw's Boatyard in Dighton, up the Taunton River).

Appreciate it!

dewey
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

In case you are interested, use the Search function for "Harmony". It seems out of character for the former owner of Harmony that many of us know would rush through the walk-through. Last I heard, they sold Harmony so they could buy a "land yacht" and cruise this country in a new way in their retirement.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
deweymt

Post by deweymt »

Thanks for the tip on searching for Harmony in the forum. Interesting!
From what I can see, I don't think the couple we bought her from participated in the CDA & forum - it was the previous owners, Dave & Carol Bradbury who did. But, and regardless, let me be very clear, the "rushed" walk-through was NOT the sellers' fault - there were a bunch of circumstances that limited the time we had. That seller has been very willing, since we sailed away in August, to take all of my many questions over the phone but there's obviously a level of understanding/orientation that requires being on the boat together.

In fact, I'd like to give a shout out to the Bradburys for the fantastic meticulously-kept and thorough set of checklists, maintenance logs, rigging tension histories, collected gear manuals and other info - all in a big binder kept on board. Invaluable and such a great reflection of the care they invested in the boat. When I better understand the context of all this information and tracking, it will be a goldmine.

thanks,

Dewey
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Dewey, I live in the next town over, Dartmouth. I keep my CD 33 in New Bedford Harbor. If you're interested,
I could visit. I' m familiar with the CD 36, having visited. I'm pretty good with diesels and have replaced
my engine, building new engine beds, etc. I'll send a PM with my phone #. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Be sure to explore the rest of this web site. Start at the beginning, on our home page, at http://www.capedory.org. From there start surfing about the “Where to Look” and “Cape Dory Info” sections. Here’s a link to the owner’s manual for the CD36, you may want to print a copy of it.

http://www.capedory.org/manuals/CD36%20manual.pdf
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay