In hull transducer installation

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
CMatos

In hull transducer installation

Post by CMatos »

Has anyone installed these in the bow of a CD?
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Re: In hull transducer installation

Post by mashenden »

By "In hull" do you mean thru hull or in the bilge (no hole thru)?

I have had respectable success with "in the bilge" type installations by using a piece of 3" PVC cut to the angle of the hull and secured to the inside of the hull (bilge) using 5200, then filled with a liquid that will not freeze. Very little signal is lost going thru the liquid and the hull.

Before securing the PVC pipe to the hull with 5200 its a good idea to put a zip-lock bag of water in the area of interest and rest the transducer on it in as near horizontal position as possible. Moving this around helps validate that the location is ideal.

Once the 5200 is cured you fill it almost to the brim with either RV antifreeze or cooking oil (alcohol would probably work too but who want to waste that?).

Next attach the transducer to a lid (aka PVC cap) that is marked so that the front of the transducer is identifiable when the lid is in place.

Lastly, submerge transducer into the liquid, align so its pointing forward, and push the lid securely onto the PVC pipe.

The only thing left to do now is test it to make sure it works.

Oh, also you may want to move this post. Its in the Buy/Sell section.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Steve Laume

Re: In hull transducer installation

Post by Steve Laume »

Mineral oil in a tube is 70s technology.

I built up a level pad with epoxy poured in lifts so it wouldn't over heat and glued my transducer right to it. It works very well and was easy. mine is mounted aft of the mast where the old transducer block used to be. It might be asking a bit much to mount it on the center line near the bow or anywhere to far forward. There is a crap load of glass to shoot through on the center line and a pretty steep angle near the bow.

I did a pretty detailed post on the installation a few years ago that should show up in a search, Steve.