replacing Lexan/Polycarbonate on Bomar Hatch

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

robwm

replacing Lexan/Polycarbonate on Bomar Hatch

Post by robwm »

Contemplating replacing the Lexan/Polycarbonate in the Bomar Hatch on my CD22. It has become very cloudy and is showing some stress fractures on one side. No leaks but just doesn't look good. Is there a source for obtaining a replacement piece of the Lexan/Polycarbonate that is precut to fit? Does Bomar offer replacement parts?

Also, any suggestions/watch-out-fors for doing this repair will be highly welcome.

Robert,
CD22, Hull#122
Hunky Dory, Lake Travis TX
tvangilder

Re: replacing Lexan/Polycarbonate on Bomar Hatch

Post by tvangilder »

we replaced the lexan on our bomar hinges on our CD36 last spring. I bought the material at a local plastic supply shop for about $40 per hatch. Cut the new material to fit, removed the old lexan, and bonded the new stuff down with black UV resistant 3m caulk (similar to 4200) all in one day. easy job.
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
Home Port: Rock Hall, Md
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

While you are replacing the Lexan you might as well prep and paint the metal portion of the hatch. It is much easier to paint it when taken off of the boat so you can also re bed the frame.

One thing leads to another, Steve.
robwm

Post by robwm »

Good suggestions! Thanks,
Robert
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I forgot to mention a new gasket and the ongoing need to lubricate things, Steve.
RichardM

Post by RichardM »

I suggest searching the site for similar information on replacing the lexan on the Bomar hatch. I ordered the polycarbonate from TAP Plastics precut 1/4" with 1" radius corners and used Dow 995 structural silicone sealant with 3M bedding tape between the hatch rim and the poly lens. Bomar will also supply the gasket on order. McMaster Carr also supplies a similar gasket. Repainting the hatch frame before installing the new lens and rebedding the hatch is also a good idea. Good luck. This is actually an easier job over the winter with reinstallation in the spring.