CD25D fuel level

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

n5ama

CD25D fuel level

Post by n5ama »

OK, another newbie question. How does one determine how much fuel you got in the tank. I put 2 gallons of diesel in the tank when the boat was moved from the cradle to the water. I didn’t want to run it dry in route to the boat’s new home, but didn’t know how much was already in the tank.

Couldn’t find a fuel gauge and knew the 2 gallons would get me home. I can use the old stick in the tank to determine fuel level but it seems awkward. I’ll mark the stick on the next fill up and just assume a linear scale on the stick to determine future fuel levels.

Thanks
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: CD25D fuel level

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I think the original fuel tank on a CD 25D was about 11 gallons. If you have the original fuel tank there should be a small fuel gauge on the top of the tank. You need to bend over (and in) to be able to see it. It is small.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
n5ama

Post by n5ama »

Thanks Roberto!
I looked down in the tank and did see something but didn't recognize it as a gauge. I guess I'll have to look a little closer tomorrow but I'll bring my stick just in case. :D
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

n5ama wrote:Thanks Roberto!
I looked down in the tank and did see something but didn't recognize it as a gauge. I guess I'll have to look a little closer tomorrow but I'll bring my stick just in case. :D
Maybe take a flashlight as well... :)
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
John #126

Post by John #126 »

My CD25D has a fuel gauge on the port side of the tank. There is a small door on the inside of the port lazarette for viewing the gauge. I believe capacity is 8 gallons.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

If your tank is rectangular, measure length, width & height in inches.
Then L * W * H / 231 will give you "maximum" volume in gallons.
The "maximum" is actually a little above realistic, usable volume.

If your tank truly does not have a gauge, you use that formula to mark
your "stick" by inches to determine current contents.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
n5ama

Post by n5ama »

Ok, great info. I’ll check the easy stuff first then go for the more basic technique. It’s probably not a bad idea to have a fall back way of checking fuel level just in case the more convenient way goes belly up.

Thanks again,
Tom
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Absent a fuel gauge, log the engine hours... consumption is fairly constant...

... you might also consider carrying a jug on deck, as backup.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I once sailed up wind and against the tide to get around Point Judith and then sailed into the fuel dock, back inside.

I now carry and extra jug of fuel, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve Laume wrote:I once sailed up wind and against the tide to get around Point Judith and then sailed into the fuel dock, back inside.

I now carry and extra jug of fuel, Steve.
I carry five gallons on deck... when I'm down by that (around half a tank) I fill from the jug and row the empty jug to the fuel dock.

Separately, I'll note that I arrived in Cuttyhunk in July to find that the fuel dock was closed for the season. I had no need, but I suspect that wasn't true of everyone else, including those who couldn't get small quantities of gas for their outboards.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Neil Gordon wrote: ... I carry five gallons on deck... when I'm down by that (around half a tank) I fill from the jug and row the empty jug to the fuel dock ...
Neil, one of the neatest pieces of kit I encountered was the "auto-syphon" tube. It was an unexpected gift from out of the blue. Thing is, this allows transfers from the 5 gallon jugs on deck while underway, even in less than ideal conditions. I suspect you are aware of this, but just in case. Note that this gear may not have utility for those sailors who sail without an auxiliary (smile).

https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Self-Prim ... B00MVAIL76
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

kerrydeare wrote:
Neil Gordon wrote: ... I carry five gallons on deck... when I'm down by that (around half a tank) I fill from the jug and row the empty jug to the fuel dock ...
Neil, one of the neatest pieces of kit I encountered was the "auto-syphon" tube. It was an unexpected gift from out of the blue. Thing is, this allows transfers from the 5 gallon jugs on deck while underway, even in less than ideal conditions. I suspect you are aware of this, but just in case. Note that this gear may not have utility for those sailors who sail without an auxiliary (smile).

https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Self-Prim ... B00MVAIL76
Yup, that's what I use... and it's zero spill. The auto-siphon had a tendency to curl, so I taped a 1/4" dowel to it, to keep it straight in the jug. When I know the tank won't take all five gallons, I just watch the fuel gauge... a simple lift up breaks the siphon and stops the flow. Jiggling the siphon pretty much empties what's left in the tube back into the jug. I store the auto-siphon so that both ends are up... whatever bits of diesel that settles into the tube just sit there.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
edmundsteele

Post by edmundsteele »

I have a CD28 and I have run out of fuel twice with the fuel gauge still reading 1/4 full. By “sounding” the tank with the butt of a screwdriver I had determined that the tank was obviously not full when refilled to the point that the gauge read “full”, thus I kept adding fuel to the port filler, intending to stop when the fuel reached the filler cap level. Mistake! There is an overflow tube on the CD28 and before my brain identified the sound of running fluids, I had dumped a couple of quarts of diesel into the pristine marina from the cleverly hidden stern overflow outlet. Half a bottle of Dawn dishwashing liquid later I had disposed of the evidence. My current system is to refuel when the tank gauge gets in the range of 3/8ths. full and add a full 5 gallons or until the fuel gauge is on the full mark. That way I am reasonably sure that I have somewhere between 6 and 11 gallons in the tank!
Ed :?
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

edmundsteele wrote:I have a CD28 and I have run out of fuel twice with the fuel gauge still reading 1/4 full. By “sounding” the tank with the butt of a screwdriver I had determined that the tank was obviously not full when refilled to the point that the gauge read “full”, thus I kept adding fuel to the port filler, intending to stop when the fuel reached the filler cap level. Mistake! There is an overflow tube on the CD28 and before my brain identified the sound of running fluids, I had dumped a couple of quarts of diesel into the pristine marina from the cleverly hidden stern overflow outlet. Half a bottle of Dawn dishwashing liquid later I had disposed of the evidence. My current system is to refuel when the tank gauge gets in the range of 3/8ths. full and add a full 5 gallons or until the fuel gauge is on the full mark. That way I am reasonably sure that I have somewhere between 6 and 11 gallons in the tank!
Ed :?
Try putting a fuel whistle low down in the tank vent hose. (https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=848503). When the whistling stops, you know your tank is full, but you haven't yet overflowed the vent hose or tank fill hose.

Smooth sailing,

--Jim
edmundsteele

Post by edmundsteele »

I have never heard of such a device – a fuel whistle! I always refuel from a jerry jug via a Racor funnel. My guess is that the flow rate through the filter would be too slow to generate enough air passage for the whistle. Any thoughts on this?

Great idea though – I could have used this when I ran a power catamaran and saved myself a fortune in Dawn washing up liquid.
Ed