Please Spam Me With Your CD 22 Stories

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Speedgraphic

Please Spam Me With Your CD 22 Stories

Post by Speedgraphic »

I’m seriously considering a “non-senior” CD22 that is being locally sold here in Maine. I live on Westport Island here in Midcoast Maine, and I’m looking for a step up from my O’Day DS1. I’m hoping my wife and I can do some weekend cruising to local islands, spend some nights off shore, but nothing too crazy. We’re not setting course for Ireland, maybe just Monhegan Island.

How is the 22 in open seas? What particular maintenance weak spots should I look for when buying one?

Also just CD22 vs Typhoon Senior... both are available at the moment. The CD22 looks a bit nicer minus the need for a motor bracket.

Thanks!
wikakaru

Re: Please Spam Me With Your CD 22 Stories

Post by wikakaru »

I have a CD22 and live an easy day's sail from where you are. I've been very happy with sailing her in these waters. I bought the CD22 last year, so I only have 85 days of sailing under my belt on her, but I'll tell you what I can. I also have a Typhoon (original, not Senior).

I expected when I bought the CD22, based on looking at the lines of the two boats, the fact that Alberg designed them both, and that they aren't much different in size, that the CD22 would be much like the Typhoon, just bigger. Nothing could be further from the truth. The CD22 sails like a smaller version of the bigger cruising boats that I have owned, while the Typhoon sails like a big daysailer. The CD22 is a much dryer boat than my Typhoon, so it can be sailed more comfortably in larger seas/chop and stronger winds.

My wife and I made a 12-day cruise/delivery trip on our CD22 from the Boston area to midcoast Maine. It was all coastal day-hopping, but the boat supported us for 12 days with no problems. We have done quite a few 2- and 3-day cruises as well. She's a perfectly capable little coastal cruiser. I think you would be quite happy taking one to Monhegan or Metinicus with a good weather window.

We looked at a number of CD22s here in Maine before settling on the one in Massachusetts. I think all the boats we looked at, including the one we bought, had evidence of the interior having been filled with water to about the level of the settee tops. I don't know why--maybe it's just that boats this size and this age have gone through lots of previous owners and periods of neglect, but keep a lookout for delamination of the plywood interior. Bring a resin mallet with you and sound the decks and hull for water intrusion. A lot of the CD22s we looked at had water intrusion at various places in the hull, some because previous owners had incorrectly installed deck fittings that later leaked, some because of stress cracks in the gelcoat. I don't think we saw any other major structural issues in our inspections, at least nothing I can recall a year later.

Good luck with your boat hunt, and smooth sailing,

--Jim
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

wikakaru wrote:We looked at a number of CD22s here in Maine before settling on the one in Massachusetts. I think all the boats we looked at, including the one we bought, had evidence of the interior having been filled with water to about the level of the settee tops. I don't know why--maybe it's just that boats this size and this age have gone through lots of previous owners and periods of neglect, but keep a lookout for delamination of the plywood interior.
That’s a stunning revelation. Those boats must have sat exposed to the elements for several years with no care whatsoever.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Jim Walsh wrote:That’s a stunning revelation. Those boats must have sat exposed to the elements for several years with no care whatsoever.
Yes, so sad. There is a Typhoon in the boatyard here that is full of water, and has been for years. There are lots of neglected Cape Dories (and other classic plastic boats) that need good homes--a side effect of the virtual indestructability of fiberglass. If these were wooden boats they would have long since fallen into heaps.

Fortunately the CD22 I bought had no evidence of delamination in the interior plywood, though it did have water stains. It looked like it had been flooded only a short time. One of these years I may repaint the interior to "white and bright" to cover the stains. Of the CD22s I inspected, it was in the best shape overall.

Smooth sailing,

--Jim
Speedgraphic

Post by Speedgraphic »

Can the interior wood work be re-finished at all or is it kind of a facade?
Speedgraphic

Post by Speedgraphic »

One that I'm looking at now is listed at $9700.

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/port ... 33056.html

Any thoughts on this price?
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Does it come with cushions? Cushions for the settees and V-berth could cost a fortune. Is the trailer highway ready?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Speedgraphic wrote:One that I'm looking at now is listed at $9700.

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/port ... 33056.html

Any thoughts on this price?
If you can sew and cut foam you can make your own cushions. They still won't be cheap as the foam and fabric is pretty high. Sailrite has great videos for the do it yourselfer. that's a nice looking boat if the pictures are recent. When we were looking at boats sometimes the pictures were many years old. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Speedgraphic

Post by Speedgraphic »

He does not have cushions, but the trailer is good to go.

I actually am capable, assuming I get a pattern, of getting the cushions sewed at cost. I’m guessing I can cut the foam? That seems easier hah.

Can you leave a CD22 on a mooring for the whole of sailing season?
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

If those streaks on the interior ceiling line up with the toe rail screws, they may need to be
removed, recaulked and re-bunged.
This is a job I'm unfortunately familiar with. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Speedgraphic wrote:Can you leave a CD22 on a mooring for the whole of sailing season?
I leave my CD22 on its mooring all season. The cockpit is self-draining, so I don't see any reason not to.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

What's that hole in the cabin sole by the V-berth where the porta-potty would go? My CD22 doesn't have that.
CD22 Hull#118 fwd cabin.jpg
It looks like this one has the same water staining of the wood supporting the settees as all the ones I looked at last year. So strange that they should all have this.

When I was in the market last year, asking prices ranged from $6,500 to $8,500 without a trailer, to $10,500 with a trailer. The base boat value of a CD22 in the NADA Guide (to be taken with a grain of salt) is $7,480 - $8,550 right now. You should run through the NADA guide estimates with outboard and trailer included and see what that does to the price, but it looks like the asking price is roughly in the right ballpark. The most important thing with a boat is condition, condition, condition, which is impossible to tell from photos.

Good luck in your boat hunt,

--Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

Had a Typhoon Senior and now have a Cape Dory 22D (inboard diesel variant of the CD 22). According to this website, there were three 22-foot Cape Dory sailboats: The CD 22 and 22D (1982-1984) and the Typhoon Senior (1985-87). From what I can surmise, the CD 22/22D and TY Senior have essentially the same hulls. I live near the old Cape Dory factory and one of my neighbor's dad worked there for 40 years. He said that by the mid-1980s Cape Dory was feeling the effects of the recession in the boating industry and they took the CD 22 and stripped the interior and changed the masthead rig to a fractional rig so they could lower the price, and for marketing reasons made the TY Senior look like a big Typhoon to differentiate it from the CD 22 and changed the name accordingly. According to this website, 176 CD 22s were manufactured (of which approx. 30 were the inboard diesel variant) and only 57 TY Seniors.

In terms of sailing characteristics, the CD 22 and TY Senior seem pretty similar. One CD 22 owner posted a couple of videos to youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVK-Rmneb0g and [url][https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_j4kQe_RCA/url] where he comments that with the short waterline length the hull tends to ride over the waves rather than plowing through them, so in the videos you can see the bow bouncing up and down in swells, which I can confirm from my own experience. It's manageable from the cockpit but you definitely feel it if you have to go up to the bow in these conditions. My first sail this season was 15 gusting to 20 kts with 3-4 foot swells and it was an exciting ride going into the chop. By comparison, the CD 25D seems to handle these conditions with less bow bucking.

I keep mine on a mooring and it takes between 5-10 minutes to warm up the engine a little and get it ready to go. I don't think it would be a practical trailer sailor launching each time from a trailer (mine is a "liftoff" trailer where it goes in and out via a travel lift). Since you're looking at boats in the snowbelt, try to find one that was (preferably) kept indoors or (second choice) shrink-wrapped or clothed in a heavy fabric cover every winter. In terms of design trade-offs, I don't think that you'd go wrong with any of them, but with approx. 35 year old boats the most important attribute is condition, condition, condition.
MHB Sailor
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

PM me and I can give you some pointers. I’ve owned my 1984 CD22 for 7 seasons now.

Speedgraphic wrote:I’m seriously considering a “non-senior” CD22 that is being locally sold here in Maine. I live on Westport Island here in Midcoast Maine, and I’m looking for a step up from my O’Day DS1. I’m hoping my wife and I can do some weekend cruising to local islands, spend some nights off shore, but nothing too crazy. We’re not setting course for Ireland, maybe just Monhegan Island.

How is the 22 in open seas? What particular maintenance weak spots should I look for when buying one?

Also just CD22 vs Typhoon Senior... both are available at the moment. The CD22 looks a bit nicer minus the need for a motor bracket.

Thanks!

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
casampson

Post by casampson »

If I were choosing between a Typhoon Senior and a CD22, I would go for the Ty Senior because I would hate to have an outboard hanging off the back of my beautiful boat. The Senior is more nicely finished and tucks the motor away neatly in a well.

You should also consider a CD 25, however. A little bigger and about half the price. It has a well for the outboard which keeps the boat looking pretty. I have one and love it, although I am sometimes tempted to trade up to a boat with an inboard diesel. Even in a well, the outboard can be annoying. There are two drawbacks to the CD 25. First, the cabin is only five feet in height, so you have to stoop when down below. You get used to that pretty quickly. Second, it wasn't designed by Carl Alberg, so it tends to be overlooked by members of this forum. : )

Here's one that came on the market a few days ago:

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/d ... 91669.html

Cheers.

Chris