Updating the Legacy Engine Instrument Panel on a CD 22D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

MHBsailor

Updating the Legacy Engine Instrument Panel on a CD 22D

Post by MHBsailor »

Does anyone know what modern options are out there for updating the legacy engine instrument/starter/alarm panel? The one on my 22D looks very close to what I've seen on 25Ds so I'm wondering of Cape Dory basically used the same on on all of the Yanmar-equipped diesel model? Any idea what brand it is? It sure seems primitive compared to the whiz bang electronics in my newer vehicle. Notwithstanding their appreciation of tradition, I can't imagine that if CD were still in business today they would use something so rudimentary.
MHB Sailor
mgphl52

Re: Updating the Legacy Engine Instrument Panel on a CD 22D

Post by mgphl52 »

What more do you need than temp, RPM and a low oil pressure alarm?
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

MHBsailor wrote:Does anyone know what modern options are out there for updating the legacy engine instrument/starter/alarm panel? The one on my 22D looks very close to what I've seen on 25Ds so I'm wondering of Cape Dory basically used the same on on all of the Yanmar-equipped diesel model? Any idea what brand it is? It sure seems primitive compared to the whiz bang electronics in my newer vehicle. Notwithstanding their appreciation of tradition, I can't imagine that if CD were still in business today they would use something so rudimentary.
Engine instrument panels are typically or at least often part of the engine and it’s wiring harness. You could start looking at what might be available from Yanmar. You might at least be able to upgrade to gauges for engine temp, oil pressure, etc.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

Thanks Joe, I like the idea of being able to monitor other parameters of engine health before they become a problem triggering activation of an audible and/or visible alarm (by which time it is usually too late). The original panel is old and getting worn out so I might as well replace it something better since it is 36 year later.
MHB Sailor