Outboard on CD 25D?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dane9

Outboard on CD 25D?

Post by Dane9 »

Hi everyone,

First post, sorry if this is a naive question.

There is a Cape Dory 25D with a bad engine for sale near me, and I was wondering if it would be at all possible to mount an extra long shaft outboard on her transom for propulsion in place of the diesel.

Thanks,

Dane
kerrydeare

Re: Outboard on CD 25D?

Post by kerrydeare »

Dane9 wrote: ... sorry if this is a naive question. There is a Cape Dory 25D with a bad engine for sale near me ... wondering if it would be at all possible to mount an extra long shaft outboard on her transom for propulsion ...
With the 25D (well, not quite "D") it may well work, as the old 25 did OK under that rig. However it's well known that a modern cruising sailboat without proper propulsion is essentially some sort of stunt. Be very careful with your choices as they, like all choices, have consequences.
Last edited by kerrydeare on Sep 28th, '20, 12:15, edited 2 times in total.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I know of a CD27 that did this as a temporary measure just to get by one season until he saved up enough for the re-power. So, the answer is yes, it can be done. I should say though, that he didn't have wind against current to deal with, and he was on a private mooring, so didn't have other boats to contend with. If you are in a crowded marina you may want to think twice because you will have restricted mobility. You have reach a long way back to put an outboard in neutral.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

kerrydeare wrote:... it may well work, as the old 25 did OK under that rig.
The CD25 (and CD26) worked well because they were built with a relatively easy to reach well for the outboard.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

mgphl52 wrote:
kerrydeare wrote:... it may well work, as the old 25 did OK under that rig.
The CD25 (and CD26) worked well because they were built with a relatively easy to reach well for the outboard.
No doubt that's true for certain CD models, but I was thinking more in terms of displacement, outboard size requirements, operational convenience, etc., that would apply to the 25D design, a quite different "animal" from the CD 25 which of course was not even designed by Alberg. Since the OP implied that replacing the inboard at the present time was a financial issue rather than a design issue, other considerations enter into the equation.

For that matter there are any number of large multihulls that use outboard power, don't rely on any sort of well, cross oceans and bays at will, etc., and live to tell about it. It may also be useful to remember that the OP is trying to use a bandage to solve an issue that obviously requires open heart surgery.
Last edited by kerrydeare on Sep 28th, '20, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

If I remember correctly, our own John Stone used an outboard for a number of years on his CD36. So it can be done.
There was an article a few years ago in Good Old Boat (maybe ??) about cutting in a well for a permanent installation of an outboard. A lot of glass work, but it could be a solution.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

tjr818 wrote:If I remember correctly, our own John Stone used an outboard for a number of years on his CD36. So it can be done.
There was an article a few years ago in Good Old Boat (maybe ??) about cutting in a well for a permanent installation of an outboard. A lot of glass work, but it could be a solution.

ADAMVOYAGES.COM
Look under his improvement projects or the refit of an Alberg, there are youtube videos also. I watched a guy in our marina put a well in a Pearson. You have to have the nerve to cut a big keyhole in the transom of your boat. I did not. So we went electric.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I'd consider a rebuilt Yanmar GM 10 for about $3,500, as a new Honda 6 would probably run close to $2,500.
The outboard bracket would add to that.
Aesthetically and weight distribution wise, the diesel would be better. Plus, it's safer. If you're reasonably
handy, you could pull out the old engine and install the new one yourself. All the electrics, hoses, the prop
shaft, etc. are already there. - Jean

https://www.dieselenginetrader.com/engi ... GM10/15068
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

kerrydeare wrote:
Dane9 wrote: ... sorry if this is a naive question. There is a Cape Dory 25D with a bad engine for sale near me ... wondering if it would be at all possible to mount an extra long shaft outboard on her transom for propulsion ...
I believe one boater tried the same thing with a CD36, a lot bigger than the 25D. Maybe it worked for a while, but I think it was soon replaced with an inboard diesel similar to the original Carl Alberg design. Still with the 25D (well, not quite "D") it may well work, as the old 25 did OK under that rig.

A modern cruising sailboat without proper propulsion is essentially some sort of stunt.
That statement is simply wrong on a number of accounts. Five years and 10,000 nm is far longer than is inferred by the commenter. Actually, the outboard worked quite well though sure there were a few limitations—as I might point out there are for a full keel boat under power as a opposed to a fin keel boat under power. Nothing’s perfect. I always worked around it’s limitations with little difficulty. There were many benefits to the outboard. Simplicity. Tremendous gain in space by not having an inboard engine and associated systems and components. Much improvement in sailing performance. More maneuverability under outboard power the few times it was installed. The biggest negative issue for me was appearance. I never got used to it. I came up with some subtle design changes for the side mount bracket that would have helped the appearance and I regret I did not pursue it. Probably a mistake not to have seen it through. I also realized that because one day I will sell the Far Reach she would be far more marketable with an inboard. No doubt about it. And, if I was going to install the engine, now was the time. Most importantly I would do it again the same way. So that’s that from the guy that actually did it.

And my inboard installation is not even close to the original design. Of course the commenter knows that but for whatever reason felt it necessary to try and shape the narrative in that direction.

When people publicly call engineless sailing (or sailing that deemphasizes an engine as a critical component of a cruising boat) a stunt I just laugh. All that tells me is they lack the desire, skill, confidence, or patience required to pursue it. It’s not easy, that’s for sure. But more than that, they simply want their choice to be seen as the right and correct choice for everyone. Fortunately, we live in a country where we get to make our own decisions on what’s best for us and largely get to choose our own path. We get to remain an individual in a world that seems to want us to all be the same.

So Dane, do your home work. Think about the pros and cons of the various options. Pick your path and press on.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Different boat, but we had a Pearson 26 years ago and it had an outboard that worked find. I liked that we could get the prop out of the water and sail through crab pots without concern. We also liked being able to sail on a warm December day and not have to winterize. Very simple system.

There were two down sides for us, one was gasoline on the boat and the other was in a following sea the prop would come out of the water. Very annoying sound and the boat would lose power.

When we repowered we considered the outboard well idea but went electric. We could not cut that big key hole in the transum. One other issue of being in the well according to the people that have done it is extra care has to be taken with the outboard to prevent corrosion as it can get covered in salt water. You could not just forget it was there.

Our electric motor has more power that our MD7A did but it does have a limited range of about 18 miles. We sail 12 months out of the year and don't have to winterize. We sail in the Chesapeake Bay and generally don't sail if the wind is not blowing. We rarely use more than about 5% of our battery capacity. If we wanted to motor further, say down the ICW we can maintain about 3 knots with a 2000 watt generator for as long as we have gas. Then of course we have gas onboard again. Nothing is perfect, but it is a aux and not its main propulsion. Dennis
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

No. Find another boat.
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

ghockaday wrote: ... Our electric motor has more power that our MD7A did but it does have a limited range of about 18 miles ... If we wanted to motor further, say down the ICW we can maintain about 3 knots with a 2000 watt generator for as long as we have gas ... Nothing is perfect, but it is a aux and not its main propulsion ...
I have yet to meet a fellow ICW traveler on a sailboat who considers a set of sails the boat's "main propulsion." And yes, I've listened to "we're goin' outside" many times, but only from those who haven't tried it.
Last edited by kerrydeare on Sep 28th, '20, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

kerrydeare wrote:
ghockaday wrote: ... Our electric motor has more power that our MD7A did but it does have a limited range of about 18 miles ... If we wanted to motor further, say down the ICW we can maintain about 3 knots with a 2000 watt generator for as long as we have gas ... Nothing is perfect, but it is a aux and not its main propulsion ...
I have made the ICW trip some 10 or 11 times from NJ to "down island," in different sailboats but mostly on a CD 28, over the last four decades. I have yet to meet a fellow ICW traveler on a sailboat who considers a set of sails the boat's "main propulsion." And yes, I've listened to "we're goin' outside" many times, but only from those who haven't tried it.
ok
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

kerrydeare wrote:I have made the ICW trip some 10 or 11 times from NJ to "down island," in different sailboats but mostly on a CD 28, over the last four decades. I have yet to meet a fellow ICW traveler on a sailboat who considers a set of sails the boat's "main propulsion." And yes, I've listened to "we're goin' outside" many times, but only from those who haven't tried it.
Maybe you have just defined the difference between cruisers and sailors?
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

mgphl52 wrote:
kerrydeare wrote:I have made the ICW trip some 10 or 11 times from NJ to "down island," in different sailboats but mostly on a CD 28, over the last four decades. I have yet to meet a fellow ICW traveler on a sailboat who considers a set of sails the boat's "main propulsion." And yes, I've listened to "we're goin' outside" many times, but only from those who haven't tried it.
Maybe you have just defined the difference between cruisers and sailors?
If we have wind we sail, if we don't we stay put and drink wine. :D
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30