Lewmar Model 10 service.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

edmundsteele

Lewmar Model 10 service.

Post by edmundsteele »

I am servicing a 1980 vintage Lewmar 10 sheet winch on my CD28, single speed, non-tailing. I have serviced dozens of winches over the past couple of decades but this one has me puzzled. Everything was going as smooth as glass until I tried to reassemble. There are two set of pairs of pawls on this winch, at the top and bottom of the drum. The two pawls at the base are “sticking out” and preventing the body from sliding on completely. The pawls are lubricated and spring smoothly back into the body when pressed by my finger before reassembly but will not pop into place when I slide the winch body on. Any suggestions anyone? What have I overlooked?
Ed :?
ghockaday

Re: Lewmar Model 10 service.

Post by ghockaday »

I turn the drum the other direction with light pressure and it will drop on. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
edmundsteele

Post by edmundsteele »

Hi Dennis,
After about 2 hours of vocalized obscenities (by me - not the winch) it just dropped into place. Got fed up torturing me I suppose.
Thank you,
Ed
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

edmundsteele wrote: ... servicing a 1980 vintage Lewmar 10 sheet winch ... The two pawls at the base are “sticking out” and preventing the body from sliding on completely. The pawls are lubricated and spring smoothly back into the body when pressed by my finger before reassembly but will not pop into place when I slide the winch body on. Any suggestions anyone? ...
I used to take a very small flat head screw driver and slip it under the drum, and then turn the winch drum in the "right" direction. The screw driver pushes back the pawls one at a time and the drum soon drops into place. Of course I'm sure you know that you never want to use grease on the pawls, just a light oil.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

edmundsteele wrote:Hi Dennis,
After about 2 hours of vocalized obscenities (by me - not the winch) it just dropped into place. Got fed up torturing me I suppose.
Thank you,
Ed
Yes, that is what mine did, they just mess with you a while and drop on. West Marine had basically a buy one get one free on two speed self tailing winches and I replaced them. So no more issues. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30