Leoma update v-drive

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

Leoma update v-drive

Post by JD-MDR »

Not as exciting as JS's new engine but I'm so happy. Three weeks turn around form LA to NJ. Completely restored. The tech I used in CA kept me waiting almost 3 months Walter's told me they put the seal in backwards and the bearing was not tightened down and they didn't put the "welch plug" in. That's the one that prevents oil from coming in from the reverse gear.(the original problem). He said I was lucky I sent it in because it would have had serious problems. Also the bearings looked like they had been used in very dirty oil,so the first mechanic must not have replaced them like he claimed, unless I did that in the 6-8 hrs I ran it but I used new oil each time. I'll go install it now and hopefully go sailing this weekend.
Attachments
Walters v-drive.JPG
Walters v-drive.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 323 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
ghockaday

Re: Leoma update v-drive

Post by ghockaday »

I hope this get you going for good this time.
Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Well that’s pretty darn good news. You have really been tenacious sorting the tranny issue out. It will be interesting to see how it works. Keep us posted.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Not so easy getting the splines together. I pulled the gearbox off the engine and tried it on the bench. I cant get it. Im afraid of damaging the splines i assume Walters put the same size I dont know where to go for help. Not the volvo shop besides they have a 4 week waiting list. I feel like im cursed. Probably from not going to Church , Communion etc.for 6 months. This virus needs to end
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

OD of the shaft is 0.860 +/-

Also, I see that the splined female part can pivot around like a ball and socket, mine is loose, ensure that it wiggles around in the socket and if it does not ensure it MUST be perfectly straight for the splined shaft to go in. That is the way this one is. I hope this helps. Dennis
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Reversing Gear.jpg[/attachment]I just checked and this one will go back together easily as long as the socket is straight. I just wiggled it around and turned it and it fell on. I hope you have gotten it by now. See how this one can be canted over, Good luck. Dennis
Reversing Gear.jpg
Reversing Gear.jpg (550.63 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks Dennis. This morning I went and got a good file and filed the spline a luttle after a while it dropped in. I was so relieved. I was a little stressed cuz my dad drove himself to emergency because of chest pains. Lockdown is killing us. He is 91 and had a girlfriend. They would go dancing at the senior center. But that all ended now he sits home all day with his bourbon. Test turned out negative but he has gall stones. Lockdown is killing me too. Im supposed to be going to 12 step meetings and church services. Ive been clean 12 years. I refuse to do zoom or comply with the pandemic paranoia Anyway. I got the boat togeather and cruised around the marina. It seems better smoother and quieter. Ill take her out tomorrow.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Great news!
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30