Amazing Speed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gates_cliff

Amazing Speed

Post by gates_cliff »

Two weeks ago, I was out at the mouth of the West River, in the Chesapeake. Had two guys along with me, one an experienced sailor the other guy fairly new to sailing.

I had installed a chart plotter last year. Since I'm familiar with the water around that area I don't watch it constantly. Anyway, we had a pretty good breeze, steady 15, gusting to 18 (according to weather report). Anyway, one of the guys was watching the chart plotter and announced we were doing 7.5 knots. That would be SOG, so I have to assume we had at least a 2 knot, probably more, current. Nonetheless, it was exciting to be moving a CD 27 like that.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
casampson

Re: Amazing Speed

Post by casampson »

Sounds like a wonderful ride. Did you take any pictures?
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Current for sure. But fun to see.

What has been great for me this year with my 27 is finding how briskly she drives to windward with one reef and a 100% jib in 20 knots. I can easily hold 5+ knots even into nasty chop. If the wind gets up to 25 knots I put in the second reef and the boat still drives really well despite the windage of my dodger. Still holds 5 knots at 45 TWA in these conditions. I’m finding I am going out when other folks are packing it in. So happy about this level of confidence in my boat and my ability to reef up or down without drama. It’s taken me a few years to get here. I’m sold on flying that little jib all the time. There’s a slight penalty in light air but a world of security and great performance in actual “ ocean wind”. The extra bonus is that the small jib trims off the coach roof and even in real wind if I pay attention I can tack without needing to grind the sheet in. So cool for single handing.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

We have found the same thing, never want to go out and motor sail, In the Summer time a 5 to 10 usually means chasing puppy feet all day. May as well stay at the dock and drink wine. Give us a good ole small craft advisory and it will make for a good day. Dennis Hockaday, Carter's Cove, Virginia
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30