Honda or Tohatsu outboard for dinghy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Nimbus

Re: Honda or Tohatsu outboard for dinghy

Post by Nimbus »

Our 2 year old 3.5hp Tohatsu has been a nightmare. Carb seems to be forever clogged, even after turning it off by shutting off the fuel. The dealer insists we are doing something wrong but we've found no method of starting or stopping it that will make it work reliably.

I have a 2.3 Honda and it's much more reliable, but it's a rather unpleasant little engine being loud.

I'd buy a Yamaha is looking for another engine of this size.
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

Suzuki 2.5, especially for the weight. I have one for exactly the same dinghy and it moves it along just fine. If you are towing your dinghy anywhere, and you need to put the outboard up on the rail, it is by far the lightest.
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Nimbus wrote:Our 2 year old 3.5hp Tohatsu has been a nightmare. Carb seems to be forever clogged, even after turning it off by shutting off the fuel. The dealer insists we are doing something wrong but we've found no method of starting or stopping it that will make it work reliably ...
Consider this:

https://tinyurl.com/Hog3point5
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

kerrydeare wrote:Consider this:

https://tinyurl.com/Hog3point5
Great idea! Is it stage 1 or higher? Vance & Hines? Arlen Ness? FP3?
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
pjust

Post by pjust »

I've used both the Honda and Suzuki 4-strokes as the stinkpot on my Typhoon. They both performed very well. If it's just for a dinghy, I'd say go with the lighter, cheaper, Suzuki.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I have an older 2 stroke Mercury 2.5 (or 3) and it was made by Tohatsu. I only use high test non-ethanol gas and mix up only the amount I will use for a month at a time - and make sure the gas tank vent is open. Works like a dream on a 12 foot rowboat. May try it on my CD 10 but need to install a wood mounting plate and centerboard trunk plug for it - creating the delay in its use.
RLW

Post by RLW »

I have an older Honda 2, short shaft that we use on our Dyer, and just bought a 2.3 long shaft for the TY. In calm conditions I can easily get 4 k in the TY at mid throttle. I only use E zero, which I buy at a station near a race track. Loud if throttled up (I don’t) and automatic clutch does require a learning curve, but air cooled makes it worth it to me. BTW...see www.pure-gas.org for E zero near you, if any.
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI