Where is the hiddin HIN on a CD27?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

atcowboy

Where is the hiddin HIN on a CD27?

Post by atcowboy »

Hello,
I am looking at purchasing a CD27 from '79. Unfortunately, the HIN number on the transom has some missing numbers from the middle of the HIN. It is starting to look like it might have been this way from the factory (never painted, original gelcoat). Seller has been trying to find some official documentation with the HIN on it, but hasn't been able to. It spent it's whole life USCG Documented, and the USCG doesn't require the HIN, so it isn't on record there either.

I've been lead to believe that the HIN can become very important in the event of calamity (insurance, etc.) and I assume that if I sold it in a different country (who knows?) that it may also be a requirement (where here it definitely does not seem to be). So I would like the owner to repair before I buy it. But we don't know what it is. So does anyone know where the hidden HIN (HHIN? lol) is on a CD27?

Thank you,
AT
Last edited by atcowboy on Apr 6th, '20, 14:10, edited 2 times in total.
mgphl52

Re: Where is the hiddin HIN on a CD27?

Post by mgphl52 »

By "registered" I'm assuming you really mean "documented"...
You can use this link http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGu ... yName.html to search by vessel name. Once you pinpoint the matching name, year, size and location, you can get the Hull number.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
atcowboy

Post by atcowboy »

mgphl52 wrote:By "registered" I'm assuming you really mean "documented"...
You can use this link http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGu ... yName.html to search by vessel name. Once you pinpoint the matching name, year, size and location, you can get the Hull number.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes I did mean USCG documented, so I updated my original post. And a HIN is not required for USCG Documentation, and the HIN for this boat is not on record with the USCG, unfortunately.

Best,
AT
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

My CD 27, 1977, hull # 35 has the appropriate HIN at the starboard upper transom. However I just noticed a similar number imprinted in the fiberglass coaming under the cover of the starboard lazerettte. Just open the cover and there it is. Aft, outboard edge if I remember correctly.

I'll check and get a photo next time at the boat. Won't be for a few weeks I'm afraid.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
atcowboy

Post by atcowboy »

Walter Hobbs wrote:My CD 27, 1977, hull # 35 has the appropriate HIN at the starboard upper transom. However I just noticed a similar number imprinted in the fiberglass coaming under the cover of the starboard lazerettte. Just open the cover and there it is. Aft, outboard edge if I remember correctly.

I'll check and get a photo next time at the boat. Won't be for a few weeks I'm afraid.
Hi! Thank you so much for your reply. Just to be pedantic (I now will need to relay your information to the seller, who will relay it again to someone who can get to the boat) I assume you mean the raised lip under the lazarette lid? The lip that would keep water out of the lazarette?

Thank you,
AT
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

correct
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

hull ID was required for my state registration but was not shown on the actual certificate :roll:
raylaracuente

Post by raylaracuente »

My CD 27 ('80 #173) also has the hin under the starboard cockpit locker door as well.
paul taylor

Post by paul taylor »

my cd27 has a wooden plaque with its hull number in the port side cockpit lazarette ....
Paul Taylor
atcowboy

Post by atcowboy »

I thought I would reply to this post with my findings in case it helps anyone in the future.

My CD27 (yes, she's mine now!) does NOT have the HIN on under the starboard lazarette hatch. This is a '79, #140.

It DOES have a build date stamped into the raised surround of the lazarette, but the numbers here are NOT a full HIN on my boat.

Thanks,
AT
wjgray3

Post by wjgray3 »

I believe your HIN will be CPDJ0140M79?, with the ? representing the month of production. Since you say you can see the ends of the HIN on your transom, maybe that letter will be there.
The "CPD" represents Cape Dory Yachts, the "J0" represents the model (CD27), and the "140" represents your hull number. The "M", I don't know, and the "79" represents the model year. That model year may have been built in '79 or '80. The last "?" will be a letter, with "A" representing August of '79 I think, and progressing to July of '80 with an "L". Somebody correct me if I have this last letter indexed wrongly. That should decode your HIN.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

See this post from Sea Hunt Video for the code:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... &hilit=hin
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

atcowboy wrote: ... HIN is not required for USCG Documentation, and the HIN for this boat is not on record with the USCG, unfortunately ...
To document a vessel, USCG requires something called the "Master Carpenter Certificate" and that's most often supplied by the builder. In extremis, the certificate can be "reverse engineered" by actual vessel measurements. The MCC lists the HIN plus appropriate dimensions to determine gross tonnage, etc., since there are minima when it comes to document requirements.

Whether "required" is, or is not, part of the process is another matter. As mentioned above, the HID is available elsewhere on the vessel and molded into one or anther part of the structural components of the vessel. Many Cape Dory boats put this molding in way of the cockpit components. In the case of the CD27 I cannot add first hand additional info.
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

tjr818 wrote:See this post from Sea Hunt Video for the code:

How does this help the OP to actually FIND the HID? Just askin'.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

kerrydeare wrote:
tjr818 wrote:See this post from Sea Hunt Video for the code:

How does this help the OP to actually FIND the HID? Just askin'.
It wasn't intended to help him FIND it only to INTERPRET the meaning of the numbers. There had been an earlier interpretation, but the did not know the meaning of the M designation.

Sorry for the confusion. :oops:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27