Line Drawings for Cape Dorys

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

robwm

Line Drawings for Cape Dorys

Post by robwm »

Does anyone know if there is a source, or repository, of line drawings for any of the CD sailboats?

I was fortunate enough to get a full set of drawings for my previous boat, a Cal 24-T4, and found them to be useful during the renovation. I was also able to frame a couple of the prints. These were 24x36" prints that included cross-sections of the hull in addition to plan and side views. Through the efforts of some of our Cal Owner's group members in California these were also signed by Bill Lapworth a couple of years before his passing on.

I would love to get a similar set for my CD.

Robert
wikakaru

Re: Line Drawings for Cape Dorys

Post by wikakaru »

I was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago. I noticed that the Peabody Essex Museum https://www.pem.org/ has a Carl Alberg collection, although none of it is online. I was thinking a trip to the museum would be worthwhile to see if they would allow access to their collection. I suppose that will have to wait until post-COVID days. Has anyone tried this?

If you do find a set of drawings, please share the wealth here on CapeDory.org. I'd love to see the original plans for my boats, the Typhoon Weekender and CD22.

Smooth sailing,

--Jim
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Here is a drawing that I was able to find:

[attachment=0]CD27-lines.jpg[/attachmen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Where did you find that Tim ?

Interesting that it is noted 7350# “full load” and also a note that says “107 cu ft” and 6850#” - presumably dry weight and volumetric displacement.

Our 27s are a little less heavy than I thought.

Thanks for digging up.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

The drawing is available on our website:

http://www.capedory.org/cdsoalook-groupsNpubs.html

This is the one I used to make my hand hull model, described in an earlier post.

Scroll down to the heading "Lines"

Ed Rant deserves all the credit for this drawing.
Half Hull 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

I recall emailing the museum 4-5 years ago, my recollection was the papers were not available to general public, only for research purposes.

wikakaru wrote:I was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago. I noticed that the Peabody Essex Museum https://www.pem.org/ has a Carl Alberg collection, although none of it is online. I was thinking a trip to the museum would be worthwhile to see if they would allow access to their collection. I suppose that will have to wait until post-COVID days. Has anyone tried this?

If you do find a set of drawings, please share the wealth here on CapeDory.org. I'd love to see the original plans for my boats, the Typhoon Weekender and CD22.

Smooth sailing,

--Jim

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

re PEM: Susan has been to their reading room to research some of her ancestors who settled Salem and Marblehead. It's a true research library in that you tell them the document you would like to retrieve and someone finds it for you. You are in a small reading room where you are not allowed to bring in anything but writing materials. She can't recall if she was allowed her phone but pretty sure she was and was allowed to photograph docs if the flash was off. And they are open weekdays only, like 10-2. She did have a membership to the museum which is $65 or so which would cover 2-3 day tickets.
They were in the process of trying to get their collection online but they have a lot of stuff so that might take a while.
I'd be happy to inquire with them about this as I'd love to get CD30 lines and they are 10 minutes from my house. Just once the pandemic is over.
Jeff
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

jbenagh wrote:re PEM: Susan has been to their reading room to research some of her ancestors who settled Salem and Marblehead. It's a true research library in that you tell them the document you would like to retrieve and someone finds it for you. You are in a small reading room where you are not allowed to bring in anything but writing materials. She can't recall if she was allowed her phone but pretty sure she was and was allowed to photograph docs if the flash was off. And they are open weekdays only, like 10-2. She did have a membership to the museum which is $65 or so which would cover 2-3 day tickets.
They were in the process of trying to get their collection online but they have a lot of stuff so that might take a while.
I'd be happy to inquire with them about this as I'd love to get CD30 lines and they are 10 minutes from my house. Just once the pandemic is over.
Jeff
That would be a great service to your fellow Cape Dory owners! As if I didn't need yet another reason to wish that the pandemic was over!

--Jim
TVinYpsi

Post by TVinYpsi »

I don't find 'Rant' in a member user ID search, so he may not be a member presently. However, if anyone knows how to get in touch with him to see if he still has the original vector file for the CD27 Lines drawing posted here in PDF format, I would be interested in such.
I've seen the photo of a half-model of the CD27 created by a member from that PDF format lines drawing. As an alternative to the above, I'd be interested in knowing more about the process used to fabricate the model from that drawing.
Thanks, all!
[-tv]
Tom & Sarah VanderMeulen
"Grace O'Malley"
Cape Dory 27, 1983-Hull #257
Port of Call: Monroe, Michigan
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Tom,
I can show a few photos that I took during the build. Basically you need some wood that is planed to the thickness of the waterlines on the drawing. If I remember correctly the waterlines were at 9" increments. 9" at 3/4"=1'-0" scale equals 0.5625", so I planed the wood to that thickness. Then you trace each waterline, from the plan view, onto a separate piece of the wood and cut along that waterline. Mark each station on the wood before you cut so that you can line each layer properly. Stack them up and glue them in to a rough half hull. The hardest part is to then chisel, scrape, file, and sand until you have a smooth surface. I made cutouts of each station from the drawing and used those as templates for the shaping.

Lifts.jpg
Stations.jpg
Half Hull.jpg
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

One thing I do recommend, is the use of what is called the "Herreshoff Block" which you can see in this photo. This is the system Nat Herreshoff used to hold his models and I found that it worked very well. You just screw it to the back of the model and it allows you to clamp and hold the model in different positions to ease carving.
Herreshoff Block.jpg
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
TVinYpsi

Post by TVinYpsi »

Tim,
Thanks so much for the photos!
They provided me with a "V8 Moment" (palm to forehead) ... of course ... turn multiple copies of the lines into station templates! I like the change of wood to denote the LWL. I'm not at all familiar with half-modelling of boats, but I suppose that's a traditional feature.
Really nicely done. Anyone with the original vector file and a 3D printer could churn these out by the score, but how satisfying would THAT be?!?
Cheers!
[-tv]
Tom & Sarah VanderMeulen
"Grace O'Malley"
Cape Dory 27, 1983-Hull #257
Port of Call: Monroe, Michigan
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Tim
Outstanding. I am impressed. That’s a real “wow” capability.