CD 25 Off Shore Capabilities

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

casampson

CD 25 Off Shore Capabilities

Post by casampson »

A neighbor of mine, who has a 40-foot boat, suggested that my CD 25 was too small to handle the wind and waves of Buzzards Bay when the southwest wind cranks up in the afternoon. My wife and I would like to make an overnight from Sippican Harbor in Marion to Cuttyhunk Island. I am not sure of the distance, but there is certainly many miles of open water. Do any of you who are familiar with the area and/or the CD 25 have an opinion on this?

I will anticipate some of your responses -- that the capability to make this trip lies more in the sailors on board than on the boat itself. In answer to this, I am experienced in day sailing but do not have a great deal of experience in navigation or making longer sails. With that in mind, perhaps I should stick to the coast this year and go for Cuttyhunk in 2021.

Either way, I still would like opinions on whether or not my boat can handle Buzzards Bay or if I should stay closer to home.

Looking forward to reading your opinions on this. Thank you.

Chris
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Re: CD 25 Off Shore Capabilities

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi Chris,
If you go to the "about Cape Dorys" section of this website, you'll find a link to a site that lists performance and seakeeping qualities of many,many sailboats. In there, you'll be pleased to find that the Cape Dory 25 has a very favorable capsize ratio and a nice, seakindly motion.

It might be fun to compare your boat's numbers with your friends 40 footer!
Regards,
Tony Jeske
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Chris- as you remember, we sailed in your boat from the Sakonnet River to Marion across Buzzard's with no issues.
Admittedly, the wind was fair, from the southwest as is usually the case. The CD 25 is fully capable on the bay, IMHO.
Ideally, you would have a north or northeast wind for Cuttyhunk. Without a dodger and going against the prevailing
southwest wind would be wet and off-putting for your wife, I think. Safe, yes - enjoyable, probably not.
Perhaps you could go to Red Brook harbor- it's closer and a beam reach both ways, usually. Plus, there's the Chart
Room - a great restaurant. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Chris, You probably already have, but Google Cape Dory Circumnavigation and you will find info on CD 25s that have gone offshore. Has previously stated, may not be the most comfortable.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

You should definitely sail to Cuttyhunk. It is a wonderful experience and is pretty easy to navigate. The distance is just a long day sail all in one direction.

There are not a lot of choices for dining and not much of a store, so bring what you need. I usually anchor, outside, next to the cut. There a bit of eel grass in some spots so look down for a light colored patch to drop your anchor. There are also moorings, inside and out of the pond.

You know the worst part is strong, afternoon, SW winds and you will want to run with the tide so you will have opposing wind, current situation and choppy waves. It could get wet! Leaving earlier in the day might help. The good part is that you can check the weather for the outbound trip and you know it will not be as bad on the way back.

You have a perfectly capable boat and it sounds like you know what you are doing.

You will have a great time and stories to tell, Steve.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Walter Hobbs wrote:Chris, You probably already have, but Google Cape Dory Circumnavigation and you will find info on CD 25s that have gone offshore. Has previously stated, may not be the most comfortable.
Don't confuse the CD-25 and the CD-25D. There is far more difference than the engine. I don't know if any CD-25s have circumnavigated. Steve.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Well this should give you a little confidence that you can cross Buzzards Bay without too much trouble...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGO8Z29H2c

You are correct, skill set is the larger part of the equation as in all things. There are of course many accounts of little ships even smaller than yours doing big passages.

Learn how to heave-to and reef. A copy of iNavX on your cell phone with free NOAA charts and a few paper charts and you'll be good to go. Really, your boat is perfectly fit for knocking about BB, the Cape, and the Islands - without hesitation.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Hi Chris, there are two ways to do this. 1, Sail or motor directly to Cuttyhunk. 13 nm. Waypoint is buoy MoA, I believe. 2. Go through Woods Hole with a Fair or slack current and time your trip down vineyard sound to ride a fair tide, then slip through Quick,s hole and continue to CH. I have done this and it is a blast. But generally I assume that either route will be by motor mostly. The way back should be mostly like your sail from RI given the prevailing sw wind.

Another thought is to take route 2 but consider tucking in to tashmoo on mv, where you can anchor, dingy to the town wharf and walk into town for dinner, if you wish. You have a shallow enough draft to get into tashmoo which is charming. Essential to consult Eldridge on all variations of this voyage. With fair weather you will have no problems or dis comfort.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Dick Kobayashi wrote: ... there are two ways to do this. 1, Sail or motor directly to Cuttyhunk. 13 nm. Waypoint is buoy MoA, I believe. 2. Go through Woods Hole with a Fair or slack current and time your trip down vineyard sound to ride a fair tide, then slip through Quick,s hole and continue to CH. I have done this and it is a blast ... Another thought is to take route 2 but consider tucking in to tashmoo on mv, where you can anchor, dingy to the town wharf and walk into town for dinner, if you wish. You have a shallow enough draft to get into tashmoo which is charming. Essential to consult Eldridge on all variations of this voyage ...
I was getting ready to jump in here as these are some of our favorite places, but it looks like Dick "covered the waterfront" very well with many good ideas. I think your careful and cautious approach will serve you well on this trip.

Perhaps a passage via Woods Hole might not be a good idea for your first time through, but there is anchorage in Quicks Hole that's very nice with good swimming, and there's a passage to Cuttyhunk at Cannapitsit Channel on the Vineyard Sound side that's easier than it looks on the chart. All of these are under most circumstances pretty comfortable, and there is always a good reason to visit Cuttyhunk. Just pick your weather, try to avoid wind against tide, and keep a weather eye for those "Smoky Sou'westers." Oh, and remember that when inside Cuttyhunk Harbor, don't anchor where the seaplane lands (smile).
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have watched a lot of boats go through Cannapitsit Channel. I have rowed through with my dinghy and snorkeled it as well. The cruising guide always made it sound pretty dicey but it never looked too bad. I might give it a try the next time I am out there in settled weather, Steve
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Steve Laume wrote:I have watched a lot of boats go through Cannapitsit Channel. I have rowed through with my dinghy and snorkeled it as well. The cruising guide always made it sound pretty dicey but it never looked too bad. I might give it a try the next time I am out there in settled weather, Steve
Steve, there are quite a few rocks in there, but also quite a few well placed buoys. Probably best to go through with a slightly foul tide in either direction.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve Laume wrote:I have watched a lot of boats go through Cannapitsit Channel. I have rowed through with my dinghy and snorkeled it as well. The cruising guide always made it sound pretty dicey but it never looked too bad. I might give it a try the next time I am out there in settled weather, Steve
The Channel is easy enough in light wind, at slack tide and with good visibility. Otherwise, heed the cruising guide, and don't use it as a shortcut unless you learned how to do so from your grandfather.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

We visit Cuttyhunk often, and our CD28 is most always the smallest boat there. The big cruisers will be impressed.

The 25 can more than take it... but as others have said, going into a SW wind will make for a long, wet and uncomfortable slog. Pick the right weather and you'll have an easy time... leave early, with the current and a NE wind, come back with the current and a SW wind.

With good visibility, navigating to Cuttyhunk is safe and easy. With fog, you'll be crossing the shipping channel, and watch also for the fishing boats between New Bedford and Quicks Hole.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Neil Gordon wrote: ... The Channel is easy enough in light wind, at slack tide and with good visibility. Otherwise ... don't use it as a shortcut unless you learned how to do so from your grandfather.
Neil, I wish I'd had this advice earlier. The only port both my grandfathers ever visited was Ellis Island.
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

kerrydeare wrote:
Neil Gordon wrote: ... The Channel is easy enough in light wind, at slack tide and with good visibility. Otherwise ... don't use it as a shortcut unless you learned how to do so from your grandfather.
Neil, I wish I'd had this advice earlier. The only port both my grandfathers ever visited was Ellis Island.
Our grandfathers made successful landfall following an ocean crossing. That's impressive, no?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698