Checking winch bolts...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

PortTack

Checking winch bolts...

Post by PortTack »

Working on removing/rebedding/cleaing up all the hardware and fittings on my Ty, these winch bolts were a little tired! And this is the better of the two, the other snapped after two turns of the wrench. Helpful reminder to check *everything!*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Re: Checking winch bolts...

Post by Jim Walsh »

These were the bolts which attached the winch stand to the deck? What we are looking at is galvanic corrosion which has resulted in a “wasp waisted” machine screw. Great find.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I wonder what caused it. The winch base appears to be bronze, as is the bolt. Were there any other
metals in contact with the bolt?
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
PortTack

Post by PortTack »

Yes, these were the bolts connecting the winch stand through the deck. There was no other metal making contact, to my knowledge, but I wouldn't be surprised if these bolts were the original. Bought the boat last year, seems that the previous owners did the bare minimum maintenance. She'll be on the hard all summer, so I'm taking my time to remove, inspect, and rebed each piece of hardware, as well as some other minor projects like varnishing all the teak, resealing the toe and rubrails, and sanding the hull above the waterline to fair and paint in order to repair some blistering. :D
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

PortTack wrote:I'm taking my time to remove, inspect, and rebed each piece of hardware
Good for you! I'm tackling the same items (slowly, over several summers) and it's very satisfying to know that item X is solidly mounted and sealed with no chance of leakage. I haven't done my winch stands yet. I think they mount through an uncored portion of the deck, so they weren't high priority. They are now, though!
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

I'm thinking somebody used brass rather than bronze bolts. It might have been a mixup from the supplier or some previous owner who just didn't know any better.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Great that you discovered this. I just rebedded my winches last year. Was a challenge due to the inner liner. It appeared to have been leaking for many years. Surprisingly the bolts were fine. I replaced mine with new stainless and used butyl rubber. Things are gone dry now.

Make sure you over drill, epoxy, and redrill the holes before fitment

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing