Typhoon Senior Outboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dave Berquist

Typhoon Senior Outboard

Post by Dave Berquist »

Does a Typhoon Senior accept a longshaft outboard in the well or should I get a 'regular' length? Also, best hp for said outboard and, of course, any recommendations for brand. Don't need a beast but it needs to be fairly strong, as I do have some pretty good currents to contend with. Thanks as always for sharing the knowledge.
MHBsailor

Re: Typhoon Senior Outboard

Post by MHBsailor »

Hi Dave, bear in mind that the TY Senior was designed and built in the 2-stroke era, and that many modern 4-strokes in the 5-6 HP range have a built-in gas tank whose cap protrudes enough above the OB cover to preclude closing the lazarette cover. I noticed that the Tohatsu SailPro can be ordered without an integral gas tank, as well as what they call a 25-in “extra” long shaft. The preceding was an observation and not an endorsement, as I haven’t owned one. JD
MHB Sailor
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

My TyS came with a 2008 Yamaha F4 long shaft. 4-stroke 4hp. Fits in well and the cover can close. Power is adequate, can do 5-6 knots--less if current or wind is strong. Good motor for the boat.
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

Our TySr came with a 2007 5 hp Honda 4-stroke with no internal tank. Long shaft. Power definitely seems adequate. It fits pretty well but the aft end of it rubs on the hull ever so slightly. Not enough to do any damage but it has marked it up.
Skeedeen

Post by Skeedeen »

We used to use a 5hp Honda long shaft which worked fine but was heavy and a tight fit. This year I switched to a 2.5hp long shaft. It is more than adequate for where we sail (Casco Bay, Maine), is light (so is easy to remove from time to time to clean growth off the lower unit), and the boat sits much better with less weight in the stern.
Dave Berquist

Post by Dave Berquist »

Thanks to all for your thoughts and experiences. I wound up getting a tohatsu 6 long shaft and added a high torque prop. We tested it yesterday in the southport inlet and it did very well, getting the 22' Senior up to hull speed (about 5 knots) at slack water using less than half throttle. I'm pretty cofident it will handle whatever we come across. It does seem a little loud and vibrates more than I expected, , but it is a single cylinder. I did have to trim it up a notch to keep the leading edge of the lower unit from hitting the front of the well. Otherwise fits fine and the cover sits flush when not running - I left it up when running since it was a hot day. Thanks again.