"carpeted bulkheads" in the Typhoon Senior

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dave Berquist

"carpeted bulkheads" in the Typhoon Senior

Post by Dave Berquist »

Anyone have experience removing the 'carpet" (I don't know what else to call it) that covers the hull interior on the Typhoon Seniors (and maybe others that I don't know about)? I want to remove and replace it with slats. Tips on the removal process if you have worked through it. Thanks
mgphl52

Re: "carpeted bulkheads" in the Typhoon Senior

Post by mgphl52 »

If it's really carpet, I highly suspect it was put in by some previous owner.
You'll probably just have to cut into it & start pulling and/or scrapping it off.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

When I had a TY Senior, it was stock, and didn’t have any carpet anywhere. Furthermore, the factory brochure doesn’t mention that being an option.
MHB Sailor
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

i looked at a TySr as well back in 2014. had standard white flecked fiberglass interior lining.

likely a PO glued carpeting. note that it's not unusual to have what is essentally a carpet lining inside.

I had an S2 27, a sailboat builder with a reputation of high quality, used carpeted lining. i found it kept the interior quiet, consistent in temp in some respects. it never really smelled at all.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

My take on carpet in a sail boat, especially one that isn't maintained constantly by "hired crew,"
is that you're begging for mold and mildew problems... YMMV
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Former owners could have been a couple of guys named Cheech and Chong.

I worked on a power yacht, as 1st mate, right after high school. This was in the early 70s and that boat had genuine shag carpeting everywhere, on the decks, down below. One of my jobs was to vacuum and then rake the shag so it was all nice and fluffy with no foot prints when guests arrived. We had an actual shag carpet rake!

Getting the carpet off of the Ty will be the easy part. Getting the adheasive off could be a nightmare, Steve.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

We also had an S2 for a couple of years, ours was a 23ft. It was a 1976 Bicentennial edition. It had light blue low pile carpet on some walls, red, white and blue cushions and red shag carpets on the cabin sole. We did replace the shag with some blue indoor-outdoor carpet and we made new cushions. The low pile on the walls was handy because the hook part velcro would stick to it.

The boat was built like a tank but the shoal draft keel made it a lousy sailboat, it also would rock side to side with any waves so sleeping on it was not comfortable at all. It was a learning experience.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

My S2 was an 1985 S2 27 with a deep fin keel. The cabin sole was teak, but hull interior was a blend of very short pile Berber like carpet. It sailed like a dream and pointed oh so well to windward. It was a high quality boat, but too much work to bottom paint, was, wax, diesel, head, etc... my CD22 is so much easier to maintain, and love the classic lines.

bottomscraper wrote:We also had an S2 for a couple of years, ours was a 23ft. It was a 1976 Bicentennial edition. It had light blue low pile carpet on some walls, red, white and blue cushions and red shag carpets on the cabin sole. We did replace the shag with some blue indoor-outdoor carpet and we made new cushions. The low pile on the walls was handy because the hook part velcro would stick to it.

The boat was built like a tank but the shoal draft keel made it a lousy sailboat, it also would rock side to side with any waves so sleeping on it was not comfortable at all. It was a learning experience.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Sorry for the S2 distraction but...

From what I understand the S2 23 (also called 7.0) was sold as both a shoal draft and a centerboard version. I guess the CB versions sailed better but they only made them for a year or so. Later better designed S2 models were good sailing boats. The molds for the S2 23 appear to have been acquired by Sovereign Yachts and they also had a short manufacturing run.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
robwm

Post by robwm »

I had to deal with the removal of "carpeting" in my previous boat a 1972 Cal24-T4. In my case I took a small piece of the carpeting (this was a rather thin and tight weave material, sort of like a thin Berber weave, with a smooth backing) that I peeled off with difficulty to a carpeting store and they had one of their installers look at the glue that was on the back. His ruling was that it was some kind of rubber based glue and told me the choices for removal were either experimenting with a thinner and scrapping, or, using a heat gun and scraper to slowly peel the carpeting off the hull and scrape the remaining glue off the fiberglass. He cautioned me that either way I would not get a real clean surface and would need to invest in some scrapping work. The thinner was out of the question because of fumes and related ventilation issues. I went with the heat gun and scrapper approach. The carpet installer was absolutely right about the amount of work. It turned out to be the second most thankless job of my restoration (rebuilding the overhead from the inside was number one).

It also resulted in a rather raggedy hull surface since I found that the time to scrape to a smooth and clean surface was beyond my patience. My original plan was to replace the removed carpeting with new carpeting which would have covered the old glue remaining on the hull. As it turned out, I ended up selling the boat before installing the replacement carpet and didn't have to deal with that. My heartfelt best of luck with this project,

Robert
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

We have a TySr and it has carpeting on the interior of the hull. The bulkhead is bare wood. I assume it is factory installed because i peeled back a corner and I thought I was just looking at the unfinished fiberglass. I didn't scrutinize too thoroughly as I was basically just curious to see if it would be an acceptable surface if I just yanked off the carpet and was quickly satisfied that it would not be - too rough. Plus, even though the carpet is kinda unappealing, I think it's better than having the condensation just run down the hull.

Not sure when I will tackle this but I think removing the carpet and lining the hull with wood would be a really nice touch. I think I would bond some thin strips of wood (or maybe something that can't rot) vertically, spaced maybe 16" apart or so along the hull and then I could fasten thin pieces of wood horizontally to those. That way the wood paneling would stand off the hull a little bit which I think would help with condensation and whatnot.
Skeedeen

Post by Skeedeen »

I have owned two Typhoon Seniors (still have the second one). Both have the so-called "monkey fur" in the interior.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Different boat, similar problem. My boat came with a textured vinyl lining. I peeled it off and took off as much glue as I could with a grinder with a sand paper wheel. Yes, I wore a respirator. To buy some time before installing an ash strip liner, I painted the hull with white bilge paint. It looks "okay" but it looks a whole lot better than bare fiberglass.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

Typhoon4Fun wrote:We have a TySr and it has carpeting on the interior of the hull. The bulkhead is bare wood. I assume it is factory installed because i peeled back a corner and I thought I was just looking at the unfinished fiberglass. I didn't scrutinize too thoroughly as I was basically just curious to see if it would be an acceptable surface if I just yanked off the carpet and was quickly satisfied that it would not be - too rough. Plus, even though the carpet is kinda unappealing, I think it's better than having the condensation just run down the hull.

Not sure when I will tackle this but I think removing the carpet and lining the hull with wood would be a really nice touch. I think I would bond some thin strips of wood (or maybe something that can't rot) vertically, spaced maybe 16" apart or so along the hull and then I could fasten thin pieces of wood horizontally to those. That way the wood paneling would stand off the hull a little bit which I think would help with condensation and whatnot.
This a great article on doing what I tried to describe above and Carl referenced with ash strips: https://goodoldboat.com/warm-not-fuzzy/