Leoma batteries

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Keith

Re: Leoma batteries

Post by Keith »

As a suggestion consider turning your batteries 180 deg so that you positive terminal are out at the edge of the bulkhead. This will allow you to significantly shorten you positive cables and allow you to put your 250 AMP fuses within 7 inches of the battery terminal. See pic below.
Battery compartment after.jpg
Battery compartment after.jpg (98.5 KiB) Viewed 462 times
Keith
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks Keith, I remember seeing that photo before. You have a similar setup as mine, I was afraid to cut the bulkhead since it was so nicely glassed in. I thought it might need that extra support. What is the little white thing between the two fuses. I'm not sure I want those type of fuses because I need to slide my batteries out more often to check the water. I haven't been doing that and they were pretty low. I need to do some research . The guy that own the electronics shop here say I can put the terminal type on either the switch or the ADR leads and it it doesn't need to be 7" from the battery. I know that is against what I've read on this forum and the 250 amp fuses. I let him sell me 100 amp fuses. I'm too gullible sometimes. I'll get it right eventually. I think I'll call that shop and tell him what you guys said about the 250 amp fuses and what I read on the Compass Marine site.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Keith

Post by Keith »

JD-MDR

The little white thing between the fuses is the solar panel charge controller.

Keith
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Here is how its gonna be I moved the fuses to the battery posts I will replace wires little by little. I got a new spade anchor and 300’ chain. Im installing the track for the trysail now should be done by Friday. Still havent got my reverse gear. I know they got the seals cuz I called Walters and they said they sent the correct ones 7/8 on one day shipping. I guess Im not a big money customer. They always wail till Friday to attempt to work on it. Then I call monday to find out there is some problem. Oh well At least im not in a bind.
Attachments
E71866C6-6FD0-4BA0-81E7-B48E6E1307A3.jpeg
E71866C6-6FD0-4BA0-81E7-B48E6E1307A3.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 429 times
4052FA70-B350-4F43-B51C-274D96C2E075.jpeg
4052FA70-B350-4F43-B51C-274D96C2E075.jpeg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 430 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

You are going to love that Spade anchor. It’s nice to see you have gone shackle to shackle from your chain to the anchor. That is the best means of attachment in my opinion. It is exactly as I’ve chosen for Orion’s bower. I do, and have, trusted my life to this arrangement.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

What is the reasoning for two shackles? It seems like it adds one more failure point. Is it to act along the lines of a swivel?

I have never been aware of this arrangement before, Steve.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Steve Laume wrote:What is the reasoning for two shackles? It seems like it adds one more failure point. Is it to act along the lines of a swivel?

It’s the same arrangement I use on the FR. The purpose for the two shackles is it allows you to use larger shackles as only the pins run through the chain and anchor while the larger smooth curved shackle parts are connected together without sharp edges better distributing the load.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Steve Laume wrote:What is the reasoning for two shackles? It seems like it adds one more failure point. Is it to act along the lines of a swivel?

The anchor accepts a 1/2" shackle to swing both directions and the chain only accepts a 5/16" . I didn't even consider if the 5/16 would work alone but I don't think it would. I don't like the looks of a swivel. It seems like it could break easy. I think it only helps once the anchor is off the bottom and can untwist but I've never had a problem with my chain twisting .
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I anchored Raven yesterday and took note of the fact that my 35# CQR already has a big old bail on the end of the shank that a big shackle will fit through so that the pin can go in the chain. That would explain why this never occurred to me. Steve.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

I liked what you did with the panel. I just refurbished mine in place as it is not a lot of room to install a new one. The box that you added, it that completely sealed, like an extension from the hole of the old panel or is is it a hinged front set out from the old panel. I can quite tell from the picture. Thank you, Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

It's kinda temporary . I just scabbed it in kinda rough. I found a door and face frame that was a little too small but I need to install it that day to get my auto pilot etc. functional. It's secure though. Some day I will refinish That and the instrument panel below it
Attachments
companion way bulkhead.JPG
companion way bulkhead.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 385 times
distribution panel.JPG
distribution panel.JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 385 times
distribution panal before.jpg
distribution panal before.jpg (684.54 KiB) Viewed 385 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510