Planning a 2021 sailing trip in Wisconsin's Lake Michigan

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

abutkus03

Planning a 2021 sailing trip in Wisconsin's Lake Michigan

Post by abutkus03 »

Need guidance. Want to sail Lake Michigan in the Spring-Summer of 2021. Recently visited Sturgeon Bay and then Sisters Bay. Considering sailing from Sturgeon Bay to Sisters Bay, stopping along the way to visit recommended spots. I live in Kansas City and know very little about sailing in these waters. I'm aware there was a fleet of this region of the U.S., but have not seen any mention of it in recent months. I sail a 25 CD. Sailed several lakes in the. midwest. Just looking for a new adventure. Willing to spend a week sailing Lake Michigan. Appreciate any advice.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Re: Planning a 2021 sailing trip in Wisconsin's Lake Michiga

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

There was a Lake Michigan Cape Dory Owners Association but it is no longer active.

Sturgeon Bay to Sister Bay is a relatively short distance. In a weeks time you can cover a lot of ground if you wish or take it slow. Between Sturgeon Bay and Sister Bay you have nice marinas at Egg Harbor and Fish Creek. Ephraim has limited slip availability but good anchorage at Nicolet Bay and Horseshoe Island off of Penninsula State Park. You can go farther and get up to Washington Island which has good anchorage in the lee of Detroit Island. If the wind is right you can go from Horseshoe Island or Sister Bay to Fayette in a day's time. Fayette, MI is a state park with a super protected harbor and a restored ghost town. Alternatively you could cross Green Bay and head for the twin cities of Marinett WI and Menominne MI.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

You might want to try posting this in some of the other sailing forums like sailnet, etc. quite a few midwestern boaters there if I recall.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
abutkus03

Post by abutkus03 »

Many thanks for the insight and advice. It will be an adventure. Will contact suggested marinas for more information on slips, etc.