Typhoon Senior hull speed under power

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dave Berquist

Typhoon Senior hull speed under power

Post by Dave Berquist »

I'm bringing a Typhoon Senior up the ICW from Southport to Norfolk in the near future and was wondering what average speed I could use. I'll have a 6hp pushing us along. Any thoughts? Thanks as always.
s2sailorlis

Re: Typhoon Senior hull speed under power

Post by s2sailorlis »

as a point of comparison i have a CD22, same size at the TySr, but sans the motor well.

i have a 5hp Tohatsu that, when bottom is clean, gets me to about low 5 knots or so. now this is per gps but measured at slack tide. when i return to my marina the current can get close to 2 knots on the peak ebb/flood..it can struggle at times especially if agains wind and tide - though doesn't happen that often.

perhaps the prop being deeper in the water may help? but a clean bottom helps for sure!

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Keith

Post by Keith »

With a 16.5 ft LWL the theoretical hull speed is 5.44 kts. The question is can the 6 hp push her to hull speed? Taking into account wind and currents both favorable and non-favorableI would guess that if you used 4.5 kts as an average you should be OK.

Keith
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

The Ty Sr. lwl isn't a whole lot more than my Montgomery's, although the displacement is about double and the wetted surface is noticeably more. I have a 5 hp Honda. Some other M17 owners use a 2 hp and find it adequate. With my 5 hp, I find that it is much more pleasant and economical to motor at less than half throttle as it runs so much quieter and smoother.

Interestingly enough, I find that my engine is unable to reach full rpm anyway, due to the mismatch between the prop, the engine, and the boat. Only two props were available and while the lower pitch prop helped, it is still far from perfect. In your case, I would guess that will be even more of an issue since the Ty Sr. is that much heavier.

The trip you are talking about looks to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 nm? If that's the case...

At 3.5 kts, 86 hrs or 9 days at approx 9.5 hrs per day. (those are pretty long, tiring days).
At 4.0 kts, 75 hrs or 8 days at approx 9.5 hrs per day.
At 4.5 kts, 67 hrs or 7 days at approx 9.5 hrs per day.

Two weeks allotted time would be pretty comfortable and allow a few lay days in the event of poor weather or issues.
One week would be pretty grueling and leave no cushion for delays.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Dave Berquist

Post by Dave Berquist »

Thanks for the info. I have started looking for a hauler to bring it up the road. Too bad, but it would be a slog.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Dave Berquist wrote:Thanks for the info. I have started looking for a hauler to bring it up the road. Too bad, but it would be a slog.
Check with Alan Stewart. He may be able to assist.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Dave Berquist

Post by Dave Berquist »

Is he in Southport? Do you have any contact info for him? Thanks
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Dave Berquist wrote:Is he in Southport? Do you have any contact info for him? Thanks
Alan is a frequent poster in the for sale section, especially regarding trailers.
http://capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37091
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Bill Moore
Portland, ME

Post by Bill Moore »

Good suggestion. I used Alan a couple of years ago to haul my CD 22 and liked his service. He's in Florence SC, so a couple of hours from Southport. The linked topic has the same phone number that I used.

My son did the ICW in the other direction in my CD 22 / 6 HP Tohatsu and loved this section, but it is not one to rush through.
Dave Berquist

Post by Dave Berquist »

Thanks to all for your input. After getting an "at least $1000" estimate from Southport Marina to load the boat on a trailer and another $1000 for the actual move, plus an unknown cost on this end to get it off the trailer I have decided to 'drive it' up the ICW next week with 2 friends, taking about 10 days with a 2-day stop in Oriental. We tested a new Tohatsu 6hp long shaft, and with (hopefully) a little southerly breeze on the genoa we should be good. It's going to be a hot one but I just got an "Ultrashade" so maybe the heat won't kill us all. Wish us luck!
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

For what it's worth, when we used to travel up and down the ICW in boats a good bit larger than your Ty Senior we found that 25 miles per day was an easy pace to keep up day after day, which usually allowed us to sail along the way and arrive at the night's anchorage feeling rested. By motoring or motorsailing all day (from dawn to dusk in favorable conditions) we could do 50 miles (sometimes more) in a day but it was exhausting, and if anything went wrong (waiting for the tide, or a bridge/lock, or fixing a mechanical issue) planning on a 50-mile day could lead to trouble. You might want to use those two numbers (25-50 miles), less a bit for your shorter waterline, as a good starting point for how far you can go in a day. Southport to Norfolk is about 310 statute miles along the ICW. And of course the distance you should travel in any given day is based heavily on where the good anchorages are.

It sounds like you are planning on 8 travel days of approximately 39 statute miles per day and zero days of bad weather. That's pretty ambitious. I'm not saying you can't do it, but I am saying that if for some reason you have to keep to that schedule, for example, to return to work on a specific day, then you may get into trouble trying to travel in marginal or poor conditions that are best spent at anchor.

Wishing you a safe trip and smooth sailing,

Jim
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Make sure the fuel and tank feeding the Tohatsu is SUPER SUPER clean. The newer Tohatsu's tend to have fussy carbs due to the extremely small low speed jets due to environmental regulations. i've known at least 5-6 people who've had issues with the newer motors.

the typical fix is enlarging the pilot opening so it doesn't get blocked.

Dave Berquist wrote:Thanks to all for your input. After getting an "at least $1000" estimate from Southport Marina to load the boat on a trailer and another $1000 for the actual move, plus an unknown cost on this end to get it off the trailer I have decided to 'drive it' up the ICW next week with 2 friends, taking about 10 days with a 2-day stop in Oriental. We tested a new Tohatsu 6hp long shaft, and with (hopefully) a little southerly breeze on the genoa we should be good. It's going to be a hot one but I just got an "Ultrashade" so maybe the heat won't kill us all. Wish us luck!

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

s2sailorlis wrote:Make sure the fuel and tank feeding the Tohatsu is SUPER SUPER clean. The newer Tohatsu's tend to have fussy carbs due to the extremely small low speed jets due to environmental regulations. i've known at least 5-6 people who've had issues with the newer motors.

the typical fix is enlarging the pilot opening so it doesn't get blocked.
I can vouch that my old Tohatsu (a 1990s vintage) was very fussy in this way.

How does one enlarge the pilot opening? (Maybe a good topic for a new thread.)
Dave Berquist

Post by Dave Berquist »

Thanks for the heads up.