CD28 bottom job and external chainplates

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

riveredge

CD28 bottom job and external chainplates

Post by riveredge »

I'm beginning a bottom project on Kingfisher that will include replacement of cockpit seacocks and thru hulls. The old ones never leaked but were frozen open, presumably for many years. I have the new ones from Spartan. I noticed when I took out the old ones there are no backing blocks in the hull for mounting the seacocks. This arrangement obviously worked well for the first 40 years of the boat's life but I'm considering adding backing blocks anyway. Will the ready-made Grocco backing blocks work? I know I may have to add holes for bolts but the diameter looks good. Does anyone have experience with this and perhaps know a supplier for Spartan seacock backing blocks?

To remove bottom paint I've used Peel-Away, which I have mixed feelings about. I hope it has saved me enough sanding to make the effort and mess worth it. Sanding begins tomorrow. Pix to follow with a few curious discoveries in the gel coat below the waterline.

I found a very helpful post on bronze chainplates here and would appreciate other references/advice.
Jim Walsh

Re: CD28 bottom job and external chainplates

Post by Jim Walsh »

https://marinehowto.com/seacock-backing-plates/
You might consider this method.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

1/2” G10 for backing plates. Epoxy in place. Here is a link how we did it.

http://www.farreachvoyages.com/projects ... rline.html

Scroll down a little past half way.
riveredge

Post by riveredge »

These are both very helpful references. Thanks!