Dribbling rudder post/cap? - CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

csoule13

Dribbling rudder post/cap? - CD27

Post by csoule13 »

So my boat, which has been on the hard since mid-April, arrived via truck to Chattanooga today(hat tip to Sailors moving Sailors for going above and beyond for this). While motoring to the new marina from the boat ramp, I noticed some water bubbling up the top of the fiberglass tube that the rudder shaft exists and connects to the tiller.

Only had the boat out for 20-30 minutes, so it wasn't alarming. And the cockpit drains can certainly handle this for now. But, it's something I hadn't seen before. Is this a watch and wait situation? Just things finding equilibrium now that she's back in the water? With the boat in the water, I don't believe I have access to anything in the tube. Looking under the cockpit just shows a stiff, strong fiberglass tube with no entry point.

Anyway, nice to have her back, though lake sailing isn't going to be the same as the Chesapeake.

Best,
Chris
mgphl52

Re: Dribbling rudder post/cap? - CD27

Post by mgphl52 »

On KAYLA (CD28) I can get some water coming up, but usually only when everyone is in the cockpit and we're motoring.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
camroll

Post by camroll »

As you motor faster and you get near or go over hull speed the rear of the boat digs in and settles downward thus pushing water up the rudder tube. Simply reduce rpms and the water should stop. My 28 did this all the time. Happy sailing
Russ
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

camroll wrote:As you motor faster and you get near or go over hull speed the rear of the boat digs in and settles downward thus pushing water up the rudder tube. Simply reduce rpms and the water should stop. My 28 did this all the time. Happy sailing
Russ
This answer makes me chuckle, since in the chop of the Chesapeake I never got to hull speed. Flat smooth lake, though. Plus, the stern locker is about 100 lbs lighter after removing a spare anchor and the chain and rope that went with it.

Thanks everyone.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

My CD-28 does the same. It is annoying because anything which falls to the cockpit sole gets wet but is not cause for alarm and never exceeds a dribble. As mentioned earlier, slow the engine a bit or reduce weight in the stern. Some have tried to remove the tiller head and force waterproof grease down the tube to repel the water with reports of success but I've not made it that far.

Steve Bernd
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

My 27 does this too and it's annoying - thoroughly soaks the mainsheet sometimes, which is by necessity on the cockpit sole and piled up right under the rudder shaft tube ... but also means the bottoms of your shoes are wet all the time ...

I'd like to fix this - have wondered about cutting the rudder tube** down a little so the top of the rudder shaft is exposed below the tiller clamp at the top of the shaft; then fitting some kind of gaiter, axel boot, or even a repurposed stuffing box. Just a matter of size matching the rudder tube outside diameter and rudder shaft diameter ... I would expect a little grease and modest clamping pressure would stop the water and not restrict steering movement much or even at all.

** On my boat the rudder shaft is carried inside a tube ( delrin ? ) which is inside the outer structural fiberglass rudder tube. Both the inner and outer tubes would need to be cut down to expose an inch or two of the actual rudder shaft. I think this "tube inside a tube" is continuous and is basically a low friction bearing surface in lieu of actual roller bearing fittings and seals in more complicated rudder systems.

Fred

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-F81Z-4421-C ... B000O0KJP2

https://fybmarine.shop/volvo-penta-rubb ... fing-boxes

this one might just stretch to fit ...

https://fortwayneclutch.com/product/boo ... u-212010x/
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Chris, Fred et al.

My 27 doesn't do this at least not so far. (only my second season and still on the hard this year) Although I think no two Cape Dories are the same.

Maybe pull the tiller head, if possible, and search for appropriate sized O-ring to slide down over the rudder shaft and into the plastic sleeve.

An anomaly of my boat is that when afloat on her lines, water puddles in the aft corners of the cockpit, away from the cockpit scuppers. A PO drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the port aft cockpit floor to drain this water. So I always get a little water in the bilge. I guess I could plug it but I like my dry cockpit sole.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Rollergirl

Post by Rollergirl »

When I had my Typhoon the rudder post leak was quite regular, even under sail in choppy Barnegat Bay. What worked for me was a thin walled flange bearing at the top of the rudder tube. Had to buy a dozen, so I sold most of the extras here on this board (Hey, it was the 90's. Anything was possible...)for my cost + shipping, which was about $4.Here's a source: https://www.mcmaster.com/flanged-bearin ... -bearings/
Good luck
Bill