Dynaplate

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

hilbert

Dynaplate

Post by hilbert »

I never paid attention to my decrepit looking dynaplate, but I knew of another CD in the marina that had leaked there. So, I thought that I should re-bed it.

Of course, the firsts step that any sensible sailor would take would be to lay new fiberglass on the exterior for it to rest against:

and then add two layers of biaxial on the interior and a 1/4" of arc-resistant GP03 fiberglass for good measure:

I finally got around to reading the online dynaplate installation instructions and learned that the plate should be sealed on the interior and that no sealant is to be applied to the exterior.
Only one of the two screws of the plate is gold plated, so I guess this is the one that all electrical connections are meant to be attached to.
Having more left over material (I didn't need to buy supplies for this "little" project), I added a copper bus bar with some 5/16" studs for wiring connections.
I was still left with the question of how to seal the screws from the interior. For a simple plumbing problem, I went with a plumbing solution of simple teflon packing:

I countersunk the interior holes, wrapped teflon packing around the screws and compressed the teflon between the backing plate and bus bar:

The plate cleaned up nicely with a drill powered wire brush:

Ok, check that one off the list.
s2sailorlis

Re: Dynaplate

Post by s2sailorlis »

Nicely done, I should do the same with mine. On the other hand... it’s doesn’t leak so why tempt fate...;)
Attachments
46ED2677-B70F-4DED-83E4-54053695BF38.jpeg
46ED2677-B70F-4DED-83E4-54053695BF38.jpeg (778.86 KiB) Viewed 225 times

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Jim Walsh

Re: Dynaplate

Post by Jim Walsh »

Nice neat project. I like the idea of adding a buss bar. I use a Roloc Bristle Disc to clean my plate in the fall after Orion has been hauled for the season. It cleans up easily then. If I wait till spring the accretion is hard as a rock and much more effort is needed to clean it up.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time