typhoon and CDI Furler

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

kevindr

typhoon and CDI Furler

Post by kevindr »

I recently installed a CDI furler, doing a dry fit in the yard. I followed the directions explicitly. The problem is that the top fitting will not rotate past the jib halyard exit block. anyone else has this problem ?
Dick Villamil

Re: typhoon and CDI Furler

Post by Dick Villamil »

My sailmaker told me that a large fitting and shackle could impede the rotation of the furler. When he made a new sail he used straps to tie the halyard to. Prior to getting the new sail last year the sail I had been using had no problem furling with the CDI #1 that I installed 10 years ago. Perhaps the plastic track is too long. Have your local sail maker look at a photo of the fitting with the sail hoisted.
mhorton44

Post by mhorton44 »

You may need to cut a couple of inches off the furler track at the top to enable it to clear. I had the same issue and it works fine now. If the mast is up, you can tie off the unused Genoa or spinnaker halyard to hold the mast up while you disconnect the forestay/furler drum to slide the plastic furler track down, It will slide all the way back up over the forestay quite nicely when you are replacing it. However, you will first need to make sure the luff of the Genoa is short enough to allow losing an inch or two of the furler track and still have some space for tensioning of the halyard at the tack. With that done, mine works very nicely. If the Genoa luff is too long, it is relatively easy to trim it six inches or so to make everything work together nicely.
Last edited by mhorton44 on Jun 6th, '20, 10:08, edited 2 times in total.
mhorton44

Post by mhorton44 »

As Dick noted, you really don't need a shackle for these small sails. My Genoa has a webbing loop and a bowline to the halyard.