CD 22D Diesel Fuel & Diesel Fuel Tank Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MHBsailor

CD 22D Diesel Fuel & Diesel Fuel Tank Questions

Post by MHBsailor »

I recently acquired a CD 22D and I'm wondering if I should replace the diesel fuel before launching as it was sitting in the tank over the winter. Also, has any CD 22D owner replaced their diesel fuel tank, and if so, does it require removing the engine first? Finally, does anyone know who the diesel fuel tank manufacturer and if they are still in business? Seems like a good thing to do with a 36-yo tank as a precautionary measure if I ever have the opportunity. Thanks! JD
MHB Sailor
s2sailorlis

Re: CD 22D Diesel Fuel & Diesel Fuel Tank Questions

Post by s2sailorlis »

Is there an inspection port? Assuming the PO properly prepped you should be fine. on the other hand....

You’re going to change out the Primary and Secondary filters, right? Or have you decided to pull the tank?

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

NarragansettSailor wrote:I recently acquired a CD 22D and I'm wondering if I should replace the diesel fuel before launching as it was sitting in the tank over the winter. Also, has any CD 22D owner replaced their diesel fuel tank, and if so, does it require removing the engine first? Finally, does anyone know who the diesel fuel tank manufacturer and if they are still in business? Seems like a good thing to do with a 36-yo tank as a precautionary measure if I ever have the opportunity. Thanks! JD
Should you determine replacement is necessary http://www.lutherswelding.com/our-solut ... rine-tanks is a great fabricator in your neck of the woods. I brought them my old tank and had it duplicated and the replacement was identical. I would not hesitate to use them again.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Good advice for a new to you boat is sail it "as is" before you dive into replace/repair mode.

Just change filters and oil if it wasn't done last fall ...

Diesel fuel usually over-winters just fine. Start the motor up if you can and let her run for 10-20 min at fast idle or even in gear (reverse if on a mooring) and just see how she goes, especially cooling ... boat looks in good shape so motor probably is too ... what did the PO say about the engine ? If she runs steadily you are probably good to go ...
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

fmueller wrote:Good advice for a new to you boat is sail it "as is" before you dive into replace/repair mode.
That truly is the best advice! Sail her as is for at least a season before thinking about changes.
Then only make minor changes until you and her know each other well!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Fred's advice is the best!

I bought my 25D, after a test sail and survey. I changed the fuel filters and topped off the tank every year. She's still going fine.

You've got a great little boat, Cape Dory Yachts's biggest little boat, or smallest big boat, depending on how you look at it.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
John #126

Post by John #126 »

I bought a CD25D several years ago with the same engine, Yanmar 1GM. I rarely go through a tank of gas each season and have had no problems.
My engine mechanic suggested adding a container of Sea Foam when I refuel at the beginning of each season. You can find it at any auto parts store.
I've had no probems, knock on wood.
John